Chapter Three - A Wolf

A wolf? Winter thought. She was stunned as she stared straight at the grey wolf standing before them from afar.

"Winter, what should we do?" Leta began to panic, "He's right there and-and-and-and..."

"Calm down, Leta." Winter suddenly cut Leta off as she stared at her.

"Don't worry."

"Hm..." Leta still felt fear going through her feathers, "uh....okay..."

Then Winter looked at the wolf again and said, "Who are you? You should go away, or my masters will..."

"I don't want to hurt you." The wolf said straightforwardly with calm eyes.

"What?" Winter felt confused; Leta as well.

"I don't want to hurt you... Any of you." The wolf repeated.

Winter didn't understand.

"What are you trying to do, wolf?" Winter interrogated, "Are you planning some kind of sneak attack?"

"Yeah!" Leta joined in.

The wolf didn't reply until, "No, I'm not." He said, "I am just a wanderer, and I am very sorry if I scared your friend."

"Scared me?" Leta felt imprecise with what the wolf said, "You tried to attack me, you beast!"

"I wasn't," the wolf replied to Leta, "I was just passing by."

The strange wolf's personality struck Winter like a poisoned arrow. It was somewhat unpredictable and odd. But before Winter could further talk to the wolf, her people began to call her.

"Winter! Winter! Come here, girl!" That's what they said.

Winter sensed that her people were heading to where she was. And because of that, she stared at the wolf again. She had this inexplicable feeling, but she had no time to think about it.

"Get out of here!" Winter cried so suddenly to the wolf that was still looking at them. "Get out of here, or they'll kill you!"

"Huh?" Leta was confused by Winter's sudden command. "Winter, what are you doing?"

It was like Winter was trying to protect him.

"Hurry up, you dimwit!" Winter continued, vulgarly feeling hesitant for the wolf to leave, "I'm giving you a chance to live, and here it is! Now get out of here before they see you!"

Right after that, the wolf ran away within the forest.

Winter gave up a sigh but in a way that bothered her.

"Winter... Winter?" Little Scarlet just came from inside her house and went out to look for Winter until, "Oh, there you are." She said with a smile as she finally found her, "Let's go, Winter. It's time for your meal."

Winter slowly looked at her mistress and meowed softly.

As Scarlet was approaching, Winter whispered to Leta, "Go now, Leta. I'll see you later."

"Uh..." Leta wanted to say something to Winter, but as she noticed Winter's expression, "Okay, See you later, Winter." Leta just listened and flew away.

Little Scarlet approached Winter and slowly patted her head first before carrying her up. Then, "Let's get in now, Winter," Scarlet said with a smile as she finally had her in her arms.

Inside Scarlet's home, "Here you go." Scarlet slowly placed the small bowl of milk in front of Winter. "I hope that it'll make you feel better."

Winter slowly approached the small bowl of milk and looked into it. Her stomach was already rumbling, but her eyes were still looking into her reflection.

Why? Winter thought as she kept looking at herself through the bowl of creamy milk. Why did I let that wolf go?