Chapter Five - We Meet Again

As the day faded, the sky grew darker, and as the sky grew darker and as the wind grew colder, Winter once again went out to where she saw the strange wolf.

She stared at the area where the wolf stood earlier and began to imagine, but as she imagined, she suddenly shook her head thinking, Why? Why did I let that wolf go? He's a wolf and wolves deserve consequences for coming close... but... but why? What was I thinking?

Winter was angry with herself. She didn't know what she was actually doing. Why did she let that wolf go?

As she thought of why she did that - why she protected that wolf from getting hurt - a small recollection popped out from her mind...

"Do you think that there might be a chance that there is ever a wolf more different than the other wolves that papa and the other townspeople hunt? What if there were? We might become friends with them."

No way! Winter thought instantly as she jumped off the bed of Scarlet and landed on the sturdy wooden floor. No way that I'll be friends with a wolf! Never! Yuck!

"Oh Winter," Scarlet smiled knowing what Winter was feeling, "Don't be that harsh. I said 'What if'. I'm not saying that you should be friends with a wolf."

"Meow," Winter meowed with a pout as she looked away.

"Haha." Scarlet laughed as she stared at Winter. "Winter, sometimes, I believe that someday, you'll soon eat your words."

Winter suddenly gasped as she remembered what she and her mistress talked about a few days ago.

No way! Winter thought as she continued to shake her head side to side very fast.

Then she suddenly meowed aloud feeling so guilty.

In the middle of the night, Zeke got up from his sleep. Although he already had that talk with his sister, Tracy, about going out illegally, nothing can stop him. Zeke was somehow reckless in things. He would do things without thinking, but then, some of those things have good intentions.

As Zeke was almost near to that area where he stood before, he felt something roll. When he looked down at his paws, he saw a red ball. For sure, he knew who owned it. It was that cat's -- the cat he met earlier; that cat who tried to save him.

I should bring it back. Zeke thought so he carried the ball with his mouth, planning to toss it back to the other side for the cat to find it the next day. But when Zeke was almost there, he began to hear thwarted meows.

He slowly looked through the bushes and saw her. He saw Winter meowing with guilt and slowly smashing her pink nose on the snow.

"Why!?" Winter meowed all over again, making herself look silly, which made Zeke laugh from afar.

Zeke began to titter as he looked at Winter, but as he did, Winter suddenly went alert.

"Who's there!?" She growled.

Oops. Zeke stopped as he realized that Winter was going austere again.

"Who's there?" Winter said once more. "I'm serious."

Zeke had no choice but to show himself, so he slowly went out of the bush, trying to keep himself calm.

Winter was once again stunned as she saw the exact wolf from before approach her.

"You!" She meowed.

But Zeke couldn't reply because he had Winter's ball in his mouth so he tossed the ball back to the other side first, returning it to her.

"Huh?" Winter looked at her ball roll back to her right after it landed on the snow and looked back at the wolf confusingly.

"There." The wolf said as he sat on the snow. "You finally have your ball back. You're welcome."

"Hm..." Winter stared at Zeke with narrow eyes, "Why did you just..."

"Why?" Zeke cut her off, "Well, isn't that ball a present from your mistress?"

"Huh?" Winter was surprised, "How did you know that?"

"Uhm..." Zeke went all nervous so suddenly. Why did I say that? Stupid!

"So? How did you know?"

"Well...uhm...earlier, before your bird friend came, I saw your mistress give it to you."

"What!?" Winter felt uncomfortable knowing that Zeke was actually watching her. "You were watching me!? You stalker!"

"I-I didn't mean by that." Zeke defended himself, "I was just watching."

"See?" Winter stared at him, "You were watching. Stalker!"

"I am not a stalker." Zeke replied, "I just wanted to see how Mrs. Red Wood was doing?"

"Huh?" Winter suddenly got curious, "Mrs. Red? Hm... What are you up to wolf? What do you want from my mistress?"

"Nothing," Zeke replied knowing that his mouth just got him in trouble, "I-I just wanted to see how she was doing."

"Really?" Winter went austere again, "Or you're planning some plot to attack her like before."

"No, that's not it," Zeke continued defending himself.

"Uh-huh... As if I believe you."

Zeke felt heavy little by little as Winter kept on staring at him darkly like she was some tornado that just sucked him in.

What should I do? Zeke thought. Would she believe me if I told her?