Chapter Eighteen - The Unexpected Truth

Zeke was walking his way back to nowhere. He was just walking in circles as his mind and heart was troubled.

No way. he thought all over again as he forced himself to forget about that crazy thing about him loving Winter. It was bothering him so much; maybe because it's true. He does love her which makes things complicated.

"What the heck!?" Zeke pressed his head against the trunk of a tree, "Why? Why her? This is just insane."

He felt like crying. He tried to deny his feelings, but the more he did, he realized that it was far too real to ignore. He indeed had to do something to make it go away, so he decided to do something irrational. Although it might ruin his friendship between him and Winter, he had no choice. He had to try.

***

"He went out again, didn't he?" Marrok asked with a sharp stare. "I thought that we had an agreement, Tracy?"

"Yes," Tracy nodded hesitantly as she stood in front of her injured mother. "I-I was just about to go out and look for him..."

"Oh..." Marrok gave up a sinister smile, "You don't have to." Then Adolf, Hemming and a few more wolves ran off to hunt down Zeke.

"No," Tracy cried.

"And you..." Marrok suddenly hit Tracy and struck her down to the ground with her mother, "You'll stay here until we find him."

As Marrok stepped backward from the cave, a large rock was being pushed to block the exit. Tracy was about to stop it, but it was too late. When she got up from the ground, the rock was already blocking the exit and it was far too heavy for her to move. She just began to sob hopelessly as her head was leaning on the rock... "Brother..."

***

Back at Scarlet's house, Scarlet was already brushing Winter's silky white fur. Winter looked much whiter as if she was whiter than snow. She was clean and fresh, but despite of that, she looked even prettier as Scarlet tied up a new pink ribbon with nice flower patterns around her neck. Winter somehow looked like an 'aristocat'.

After a lot of hard work, Scarlet made a proud smile as she looked at Winter's new refreshing look.

"You look wonderful, Winter," Scarlet smiled as she stood up from her chair. "Oh," she suddenly stretched her arms, "I need to get cleaned up, too. Hehe. Well, Winter, you may go now, but make sure to not get yourself dirty, okay?"

"Meowrr..." Winter nodded as she went off.

When Winter got down from upstairs to the top of the drawer where Leta was placed...

"Where are you going?" Leta asked.

"Uh...I'm going out again," Winter replied.

"What?? You are already cleaned up and now, you want to go out and get yourself dirty?"

"No... Don't worry, Leta. I won't get myself dirty. I'll just be staying nearby."

"Okay..." Leta just agreed, "Well, be careful."

"Alright... Thanks."

When Winter was already out of the house, standing by the river, she made a deep sigh.

"Finally," she said to herself, beginning to fill herself with questions.

Do I? She began to think Do I... love Zeke? Then Winter suddenly shook her head. No! No way! I can't love him. He's a wolf!

But as she thought hesitantly, wanting to forget such an idiotic and crazy thought, she was suddenly distracted by her reflection in the river.

"Oh," Winter said, "Wow... Is that really me?"

***

"Where is it?" Zeke said to himself as he returned to the place where he abandoned the flower left for him by the chipmunk.

As he sniffed and sniffed, he finally found the flower buried in the snow. It was still as beautiful as it was when he first saw it, and so, he picked it up, quickly heading back to see if Winter was already there.

When Zeke got there, already holding the flower in his mouth, he saw Winter standing by. As he looked at her, he saw her fixing and straightening her whiskers with her paw as she was looking down at her reflection in the river. He noticed that Winter's fur was much whiter which made the color of her eyes appear much brighter.

Wow he thought as he kept on staring at her What a therapy... But then, he began to think hesitantly... Should I do it? Should I-I-No! Should I not?-OH! What's wrong with me?! Make up your mind, ZEKE!

As Zeke was going crazy behind the bushes, from a far, Winter noticed a grey tail wag.

"Zeke?" Winter called out which suddenly caught Zeke's attention. "Is that you?"

Zeke suddenly jolted as he heard Winter call him. He was still hesitating with nervousness. When he got out of the bushes, he left the flower behind him, intending to not show it to her yet.

"Zeke," Winter began as she looked at him, "You seem to be acting strange."

"Oh, really?" Zeke tried to play it cool, trying to hide his fear, "Well, I-I-I..." Then he sighed, "Winter, I need to tell you something."

"Huh?" Winter felt curious, "Okay. Tell me."

Zeke took a deep breath in and began to tremble... and tremble, and tremble.

"I-I..." Zeke began, but it seemed like he cannot say it. "I-I-I..."

"Just say it already!" Winter meowed aloud, getting tired of waiting until...

"Okay! I think I'm in LOVE with you, Winter!" Zeke finally said it.

Winter then froze in place as those words echoed in her ears until...

"O...k..." She said and gave a laugh, "Haha. You're just joking, right? You can't be serious."

"I'm not joking. I'm not that type of wolf that likes to play jokes."

"Haha," Winter still cannot believe it, "Stop it, Zeke... I know you're just joking..."

"I am not! I am serious," Zeke said with a persistent stare, "I do love you, Winter..."

Winter's heart began to thud so fast and very hard. She felt like she was about to faint with shock. She cannot believe such a confession.

"Well, I..." Winter didn't know what to say next. She became so speechless and even motionless. She cannot move a muscle.

"Just as I thought..." Zeke said as he looked down, feeling so ashamed, "You would freak out if I told you. Besides, we're different..."

Zeke was about to leave until...

"No! Wait!" Winter stopped him so suddenly, but she didn't exactly know why. "I-uhm... I'll just say it some other time."

"Alright," Zeke looked down, but as he did, he decided to do something before he left.

He went back to the bush and took the flower. As he already had it in his mouth, he swam down to the river, and as he was already close to the other side, he placed it down on the snow in front of Winter.

"If you're still thinking of an answer," Zeke began as he looked at Winter who was still in disbelief, "I would like you to have this... If you accept it, then it means you love me. But then, if you leave it..." he looked down, "it's done."

After that, Zeke swam back to the other side, and said nothing more. In truth, he knew that Winter won't accept his love... She was a cat and he was a wolf. And from the looks of it, he knew that he just ruined their friendship...