Chapter Eight - Wingless

It was a cold dim morning. The sky shone no rays as the clouds covered them. Winter was indeed the longest season that they had. They would wait for weeks for spring to come.

On that dim morning, Winter turned around in circles, wondering of meeting that strange wolf again, but she seemed to have trouble with herself just thinking about it.

"What am I thinking?" She meowed, "Why are you thinking of meeting that stupid wolf again, huh, Winter? Why? What's wrong with me?"

And again, Winter began to smash her tiny pink nose on the snow like before. As she did that, she heard a flap of tiny wings nearby.

"Hey, whatcha up to? Smashing your head on the snow again, hm?"

It was Leta.

"Oh, hey Leta," Winter said as she was still bashing her head on the snow.

"Hey," Leta flew over to Winter, trying to stop her with what she was doing, "What's up with you? Wake up and smell the snow. Actually, you are smelling the snow because you're bashing your face into it. Hehe. Well-ahem... I mean... Huh?"

Leta stared at Winter who seemed to be not listening. That irritated her a bit.

"Hm..." Leta grew a sweat on her forehead as she was still looking at Winter still bashing her face up and down. "Oh man... STOP THAT!"

Winter suddenly snapped as she quickly tilted her head upward with tiny snow dropping down from her face.

"Huh?" Winter's eyes widened with cluelessness.

"Hey, what's wrong, Winter?" Leta chirped, "You've been starting to act strangely since yesterday -- since-wait! don't tell me that something happened. Something about that wolf? I'm gonna, I'm gonna..."

"No, nothing happened." Winter cut her off, "I just spoke to that wolf again just last night."

Winter sighed as she tried to fix her pink ribbon that was tied up around her neck.

"What? Are you serious?" Leta jumped and tilted her head a little a couple of times, "Did he do something horrible to you? Is that why you're so troubled?"

"No," Winter shook her head, "it's just that... I'm not even sure if I should say it."

"C'mon, Winter," Leta came closer to her, "You can tell me anything. Don't worry."

"Hm... Well, I found out about something."

"What is it then? Tell me..."

Winter sighed again and finally replied, "Okay."

Leta listened to everything that Winter said and was indeed dumbfounded about such a truth.

"Really?" Leta jumped with shock, "Mrs. Olivia was friends with a wolf? There is no way that it's true. That wolf must be lying to you, Winter."

"I know, but it is true..." Winter said, "There's proof. There is a wolf beside Mrs. Olivia in her photo. I can show you."

"Okay, but wait. Are you sure I can get in your house?"

"Huh?" Winter looked back at Leta and smiled, "of course you can. You're not a wolf or anything."

"Oh, yeah, right. Hehe."

"Okay, let's pass through the window."

The window was slightly open and there was a pile of wood near to that window that could possibly become a stairs. Winter jumped on those cut-off wood until she reached the window. She pushed the windowsill open with her paw, letting herself and Leta get in.

"Here we are." Winter said.

"Wow, it's my first time to get in here." Leta chirped as she followed Winter.

"There," Winter paused to look at the drawer where Mrs. Red Wood kept the photo. "That's where she kept it."

"Okay, how can we get it?" Leta thought as she looked up.

Winter suddenly jumped to the top of the drawer and tried to open the lock with her claw. She twisted it a little and then, bingo! It was open.

"Here we go," Winter said as she slowly used her paw to open the drawer. "Just a little more," Winter began to pull the handle even harder until it was finally open. "There we go."

"Cool," Leta flew to the top of the drawer as it was finally open and saw the photo. "Whoa, it is true."

"Yeah," Winter nodded, "I can't believe it either."

"Do the humans know about this?"

"Not sure if they all knew about it, but Mrs. Red Wood does. I just don't understand why."

Suddenly, the drawer that Winter opened began to fall. It was pulled too much that a tiny tip of it was left hanging. When it began to fall...

"Oh no!"

"Leta, don't!"

Leta tried to catch it with her tiny feet, but eventually, she fell down with it.

"Leta!" Winter cried as the drawer and Leta were on the floor.

"Leta, are you okay?" Winter asked as she approached her, but sadly, she found out that Leta's wing was caught under the drawer.

"Ouch!" Leta cried unable to move her injured wing.

"Leta, oh no. This is all my fault." Winter felt regret of what happened.

She tried pushing away the drawer, but when she tried, Leta chirped much louder that made Scarlet, who was upstairs, suddenly stand up from her working chair.

"Huh?" Scarlet began to go downstairs as she heard Leta's chirps. "Why do I hear a bird?-Oh no!"

Scarlet quickly approached Leta and Winter and lifted up the drawer off Leta's wing.

"Poor Birdie," Scarlet said as she slowly carried Leta, "You're hurt. We should get that wing fixed."

Scarlet slowly placed Leta on the table and began looking for a ribbon, a stick, and some tape. As Scarlet was looking for those things she needed, Winter went on top of the table to see how Leta was doing.

"Leta, don't worry," Winter said as she looked at Leta's injured wing, "Scarlet will fix you" ... "Meow" Winter meowed to Scarlet who already had what she needed.

Leta was finally fixed up. Her wing was wrapped around with a ribbon and taped with a stick so that it would stay steady, but sadly, Leta was no longer able to fly again. Only until the day her wing will get better.

Soon after, Scarlet decided to keep Leta in the house until she was able to fly away again. Leta felt sad for she can no longer fly, but was happy as well to see herself being cared by new friends.