Chapter Fifteen - A Lone Wolf

Cold winds were passing by as Zeke and Winter continued their journey back home, but as they continued, Zeke thought of something.

"Uhm, Winter," Zeke began, "What did those guys mean about you needing me so badly? It's sort of bothering me..."

"Uh," Winter suddenly gasped as she tried to walk straight, "It was just a...well, nothing...nothing at all. They must be talking about that awkward thing I did earlier."

"Okay, I guess so..."

Winter suddenly sighed with relief. Actually, she didn't know what she was feeling at that time when she almost lost Zeke. It was just a sudden feeling.

After a few moments, Zeke and Winter just arrived. The water was very chilly, but Zeke penetrated the cold just to get Winter at the other side safely.

"Thank you, Zeke," Winter smiled with a purr.

"You're welcome," Zeke replied as he was still in the river, penetrating the chilly feeling.

"You better go now before your feet get frozen."

"Oh, yeah..." Zeke took a few more seconds in the cold water, "Well, I really hope to see you again, Winter."

"Uh-hm," Winter nodded with a smile.

After he watched Winter run off towards the open window, Zeke began to swim back to the other side. When he got out of the river...

"Brr..." Zeke shivered and shook his body, trying to make himself dry. "Whoa... That was so cold. Ho."

As Zeke was finally at the other side, he took a slight glance at the open window where Winter stood. Winter, at the same time, also looked at Zeke. And as they were both looking at each other, they smiled and bid their goodbyes.

After that, Zeke went into the forest while Winter went inside her house, but as she entered...

"What was that?" Leta looked at Winter sheepishly.

"Huh!" Winter gasped as she saw Leta on a cushion with a bowl of seeds and some water beside it. Scarlet made a bed for her.

"I saw that, you know." Leta teased, "So, don't hide it. What did you do, hm?"

Leta was somehow nosey with things, but just some of the time.

Knowing that Leta did see what happened, Winter decided to tell her everything. Leta went all hyper from the beginning until the ending of Winter's thrilling story.

"Omy!" Leta chirped, "That wolf named Zeke must care for you a lot! He is always there to save you, isn't he?"

Thinking about it, Winter did realize that Zeke was really caring for her, but she still had some doubts.

"Yeah," Winter replied, "But I'm not sure if he really is what I think he is."

"Huh?" Leta looked at me, "Winter, you're doubting, aren't you?"

"What?"

"Yes, you are. You know that Zeke is a nice wolf, so why don't you believe it? This doubting of yours never stops, does it? ... Just so you know, I doubt, too. But right now, this is about you and that wolf, Winter. Think about it. You trust him, right?"

Winter looked down as she buried Leta's words in. She slowly looked up to her and saw her smile which gave her the feeling to smile as well.

"Honestly," Winter began, "I really do trust Zeke. I don't only trust him. I believe in him, and I know that he is different from all the other wolves in the world."

"That's it, Winter," Leta smiled......but then, "Gotcha! I got you to spill the beans! You do like this wolf! My plan so worked!"

"Huh?" Winter was shocked. "Oh you..."

***

In the middle of the snowy forest, Zeke walked his way back very carefully, returning to his home not wanting anyone to know that he went out again.

As he was slouching down his back, hiding beneath the bushes, he began to hear the rustling of leaves from nearby. He stooped very low as he heard footsteps on the snow. He knew they were a wolf's.

Oh no. he thought as he saw brown and black paws through the bushes.

As he felt cornered that he was about to get caught...

"Shh..." Someone suddenly lowered his head down, hushing him.

"Tracy?" Zeke was surprised to see Tracy beside him.

"Shh..." Tracy hushed him again, "Keep quiet."

As the two were hiding within the bushes, waiting for the two wolves to leave, Tracy stared with stern eyes. When the two wolves walked away...

"Hurry," Tracy whispered, "Let's go before we get caught."

And so Zeke followed her and just in time before the wolves returned, Zeke and Tracy were finally back in their cave.

"Zeke," Tracy began, "Why?"

"I..."

"Why!?" Tracy shouted with her head bowing down, "Why didn't you listen?"

"Tracy, I..."

"No!" Tracy stunned him with her scarce stare and with her sharp teeth pointing out, "Don't you even know how much mother and I have to sacrifice just to save your stupid tail?"

"You-you don't understand," Zeke tried to talk back.

"You just think about yourself!"

"Tracy!"

"You...!"

"Enough!" Zeke exclaimed with rage, "You don't know who I am! You and mother don't understand me at all. Ever since, both of you never believed in possibilities. If only father were here!"

Zeke suddenly ran off again, running away to his special hill where he mostly spends his time alone.

"Zeke!" Tracy cried, but Zeke didn't give himself a chance to look back.

On top of the highest hill where you can see the moon shine more beautifully, Zeke sat on the snow, thinking of what his sister told him. He stood there thinking of how different he was from the others, how terrible it feels to be a lone wolf. He never really had true friends in his pack. He even wondered why he was still staying with the pack until now if they didn't even want to accept him. Thinking about it, Zeke suddenly thought of a reckless idea -- an idea which might get him in trouble again, but may free him from his agony.

The night was still blossoming in time as silent steps on the snow slowly left. Zeke went down the hill silently after thinking, and as he walked away from his abode, he took a chance to look back at the cave where his family laid asleep. He paused for a moment, imagining of a sweet memory he once had, but that memory faded away when he began to move forward, when he began to run away from where he came from, and for sure...

He won't be coming back.