Nineteen

8 years ago— August 24, 2012

Harley
I walked in the house and closed the door behind me I walked into the kitchen seeing my mama and her boyfriend.

"Harley what are you doing outta school?"

"Mama it's 4:30 school let out an hour ago I had to walk from the bus stop."

"Oh."

I rolled my eyes I never rode the bus a day in my life and today I had to.

"Well I got some exciting news."

"Okay."

"Me and Patrick are engaged," my mama spoke as she flashed her hand showing me her ring.

"Congratulations."

"Ima let you two talk I'll be outside make it quick cause the movers will be at the house soon."

My mama nodded they kissed and Patrick walked outside.

"Do I need to pack up my room or y'all done that already."

"There's no need for you to pack."

"What why?"

"It wasn't an easy decision but you're not moving in with us."

"What? I'm your only child."

"I know but Patrick said that he's not taking care of no child that's not his and it was either continue to struggle with you or have a better life and I chose the better life."

"Yeah for yourself what am I supposed to do."

"You're 16 now figure it out."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah look I have to get going go pack up your things and leave the apartment the landlord will be coming by and doing a full walk through."

"I don't have no other family mama you're all that I have."

"Like I said you'll figure it out."

I watched as my mama walked out of what used to be our apartment. I called up India asking her to come over I would've rode with India but I told her my mama was coming to get me so she left.

Once India came over I gave her the rundown on what just happened.

"Damn that's fucked up."

"Yeah it is."

"You should come and work with me at Magic City."

"No Indie I'm not being no stripper."

"It's fast money."

"No Indie."

"Okay but if you change your mind let me know."

"I won't but okay."

India nodded we got everything packed up and walked out of my now old room and over to her car we placed some bags in the trunk then we walked back upstairs to the apartment and grabbed the 2 boxes I had and carried them out of the room. I closed the apartment door and we walked down to India car.

A few days later

I knocked on India door and walked in she removed her earphones.

"Wassup Harls."

"I'll do it."

"You sure?"