|𝟏| 𝐀𝐠𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐯𝐞

My feet pound against the tiled floor as I sling my backpack over my shoulder, clearing the test I just finished in math class from my mind

My feet pound against the tiled floor as I sling my backpack over my shoulder, clearing the test I just finished in math class from my mind. I turn the hall and shove one of the heavy doors of the auditorium open, pushing through the small group of girls by the board in the far corner that holds the one thing I've been looking forward to seeing all week.

Boobs are pushed against my back and arms as what feels like hundreds of eyes scan the same list I'm trying to focus on. I shake my head, clearing it of the fact that a crap ton of bodies are radiating heat all around me.

Amei G.

Cameron M.

Ellianna A.

Holly O.

My eyes scan over the rest of the list. Again. And again. My name's not on it. Why isn't my name on it? It's not that I'm not on the team, right?

"Uh, Coach? My name's not on here..." I trail off, my eyes scanning back over the list. She nods in the direction of her office. What did I do this time?

Following her into her office, I shut the door behind me, cautiously moving to sit in the chair on the opposite side of the desk.

"You didn't make the team." She tells me.

And there goes my good mood. "Okay... why?"

"Paisley, you're one of our best players, always have been. But over the last few months, you've become..." She clears her throat, taking a peek inside a folder she had her arms folded over. "Overly aggressive. Hell, scouts even recommended moving you to the boys' team. You've not only been the cause of several injuries-"

"I think you could've just said I'm an aggressive player and that's not good. For the girls' team." I lean down and grab my backpack, shouldering it. "Good luck this season, coach."

Before I can open the door to leave and wallow in my own self-pity, she says, "You're awfully calm about this."

I shrug, turning to her, smiling sheepishly. "It was inevitable." I knew she wasn't talking about the game anymore and I also found that inevitable. "Things happen."

Despite my words, my eyes are still pooling with tears. I wave at her, turning. "I'll see you around."

"You need me to write you a note?" She calls quietly from her desk.

"Please," I say, shutting the door behind me.

This all must be confusing to you. So let me explain.

The one thing I had to look forward to this year has been- cue ripping sound- torn from me. Because I'm 'aggressive'. And on top of it, I have to get a job now.

I'm not spoiled, I know how to work and actually don't mind it. Unless it's dishes, I hate dishes.

My parents and I made a deal when the year started that if I'm not playing a sport, I'm working. And since I got kicked off the team... work it is. If I'd known, I wouldn't have quit my job at Monty's.