|𝟏𝟑| 𝐍𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐇𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐝

We'd been on Winter Break for almost a full week now and I swore I'd only seen Paisley come out of her room once within that week

Granted, she hadn't had much of a reason to leave her bedroom. Mom would leave her breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Plus, with the bathroom that connected to our rooms? She was pretty much set.

Speaking of mom, hers had been too busy interrogating Frank to notice Paisley's lack of appearance around the house.

I'd been left covering her shifts at Monty's and everything. If it weren't for the fact that our rooms were connected by a bathroom, I'd have thought she was dead. But the occasional sound of water running in the shower told me otherwise.

There was this voice in my head telling me to talk to her but I knew better. It wasn't my place. The issue with that was I wasn't sure who's place it was.

Something told me she didn't open up to her friends as much as they thought she did, which somehow made me feel worse about things.

Maybe she likes her secrets, I thought.

But it hadn't felt like a secret. In the moment, the look on her face, the way her body shook as she reached up to shove at Frank's chest... it felt wrong. Something wasn't right and for some reason, I felt like it was up to me to uncover what she was hiding. What she feared to share with the people she kept close in her little world.

"You look like you're thinking pretty hard," Sky's chest vibrated with laughter against my side as she drew random patterns on my abdomen. "Are you okay?"

I craned my neck to look at her, grinning mischievously. "I was just thinking about how beautiful you are."

A deep blush covered her cheeks as she pressed her face into my chest, smacking my stomach as she grumbled incoherently against my shirt.

She propped her chin on my chest, cocking her head to the side as her hand moved up to my hair.

"What were you actually thinking about?"

I sighed. "Well I was thinking about how pretty you are but my mind wandered."

"Where?"

"I was thinking about your life and what it's like, you know? Just curious. And then it wandered to your friends and then when I started thinking about Paisley which had me thinking about what happened last week."

Sky frowned, sitting up as her brows furrowed. I'd almost forgotten that I hadn't told her about what had happened. It was almost like habit, keeping her in the loop when it came to her ex-bestfriend, as Paisley kept calling Sky.

"What happened last week?"

"Paisley had an anxiety attack and her mom just watched while I helped her out. And then she hit Frank and said something weird and now I can't stop fucking thinking about it," I groaned.