Penelope's eyes flickered around the hallway suddenly and her blissful expression morphed into one of horror when she realized that her surroundings were empty.

How long was she talking to Olivia? She was already going to be late to class but now, surely half of the period was almost over!

"Oh no" She whined worriedly, nibbling on her bottom lip in discomfort.

Her small hands fished her phone from her pocket and she sent a distressed text to her boyfriend.

To: Bub 🥴❤️

Where are you 🥺

Parking lot. What's wrong

At his response, Penelope turned off her phone and pivoted to the right, deciding to head in his direction and tell him about her situation in person.

She pushed one of the double doors open, and her eyes were on high alert as she walked around the parking lot, looking for the familiar tall frame. It wasn't too hard to find him considering that there was nobody else outside and the man himself had just hopped out of his truck.

"What happened. Why aren't you in class?"

Penelope twisted her fingers in nervousness at his demanding tone.

"I was talking t-to a friend and I wasn't paying attention to the time. I didn't know I was going to be out for that long Phoenix, and now class is almost over! Am I skipping? I didn't mean to—"

"Baby, relax." Phoenix interrupted, although he was trying not to laugh at how he thought that this was going to be a serious situation. After everything they've done, he almost forgot that his baby was a good girl.

"Missing one class won't hurt, okay? I promise."

Penelope looked reluctant but nodded at his words, blushing a bit at how worried she was when Phoenix was able to brush it off so easily. She couldn't help it, she was an overthinker.

"Good. Now get in the car, it's cold."

She flushed more at his words, more so at the fact that it came almost natural to her to follow his demands. She didn't even realize that he rarely asks her to do things anymore, he would simply tell her, and being the pliant, willing girl she is—she would obey.

Phoenix grasped her hips to lift her into the truck before shutting the passenger door. Penelope curled the ends of her brown strands around her finger, while she waited for Phoenix to walk around the truck and enter through the driver's side. Once he was in, he pulled off his jacket and put it on the smaller girl, the corner of his mouth twitching up in amusement as it nearly swallowed her whole.

Penelope smiled and wrapped her arms around herself, giving it a quick sniff and hoping that her actions were subtle. It smelt so much like him—his masculine cologne and a hint of cigarettes— it almost felt like he was giving her a hug.

"Olivia talked to me today." She said after a moment. Quietly uttering her words while pushing up the sleeves of the oversized coat so that she could see her hands.

"Is she still being a bitch?"

"Phoenix" The girl shook her head with a frown, disapproving of his crude remark. "She apologized."

The taller boy clenched his jaw but really wanted to roll his eyes at the news he was hearing. The blonde not only fought with her "best friend" over Owen, a guy who didn't even like her, but she also blamed Penelope for his feelings. The cunt deserved that piece of shit even if he didn't want her. This supposed apology was clearly a cry for help and he doubted that it was even genuine.