C i n n a m o n

"What's up?" Hunter asked as he approached Phoenix.

The Norwegian lifted his head in acknowledgement with a blunt between his lips. He exchanged a handshake and chest bump with his friend.

Pink lips exhaled the smoke slowly after a big hit, and the boy closed his eyes, leaning his head against the brick wall.

"Long day?" Hunter chuckled, crossing his arms over his chest as he joined Phoenix's spot on the wall.

Hunter shook his head as the taller boy offered him a pass at the joint, and Phoenix merely shrugged at his refusal, going for another hit.

"I'm already high, I can't be completely stoned for my shift." The brown-haired boy said amused.

Phoenix chuckled at that.

The two conversed until the final bell rang and the Norwegian threw his finished blunt on the ground and squished it under his foot.

"I have to go, but we'll talk later yeah?"

Hunter nodded but seemed conflicted about something. His brows furrowed as he spoke.

"Are Sunshine and Owen in a fight or something?"

Phoenix clenched his jaw at the mention of the kid's name, black tattoos even more prominent against tensed skin.

"Why? Did he say something to her?"

"Well, I was in the library right before I came here and they seemed to be having some kind of argument."

He scratched at the back of his neck in apprehension.

"Sunshine left him there—but I don't know man, something seemed a bit off to me."

Phoenix stood there for a second, his heart thrumming in his chest. Was the kid trying to tempt him? Why the hell was he still talking to Penelope, arguing with her even. Who the fuck does he think he is?

"I have to go."

The boy turned abruptly, his thoughts rampant and rage building. He wasn't a passive-aggressive kind of guy. He was abrasive, rough and not afraid of getting bruised and bloody— in fact he was used to it. He highly doubted that the school's golden-boy held the same attitude. Owen would probably bitch and moan over a broken nail.

Hunter called out to his friend but his head was caught up in the clouds. Or maybe it was buried deep underground. His thoughts and desires were more closely aligned with hell after all.

Phoenix entered the school, navigating through the mass of students that were in a rush to get home. After turning down a few hallways, his eyes landed on a familiar brunette and he walked over to her small frame.

"Hey"

Penelope jumped and dropped her books, a gasp passing her lips. She turned away from her locker to come face-to-face, or rather face-to-chest with her boyfriend.

"I didn't mean to scare you baby—no, let me."

Phoenix stopped Penelope from bending down and picked up her books instead, placing them in her locker.

Her frazzled expression made him frown and he tilted her chin upwards so that her eyes made contact with his.

"I have to take care of something, but I don't want you to wait up for me. Text me when you get home."

Penelope pouted, although her cheeks reddened as a kiss was placed between her furrowed brows.

She giggled when he kissed the tip of her nose and pouty lips, while trying to push him away playfully.