Thanksgiving

"Mom, don't show him that!" Penelope yelled as her mother stretched her arm over the dinner table to show Phoenix an embarrassing picture to provide context for a just as embarrassing story.

"And that was when I had to call the ambulance," Lila continued, clearly against her daughter's wishes, "she refused to stand up even though it was her arm that was broken, they had to take her out in a stretcher."

The young girl grumbled to herself, angrily stabbing her fork into the smooth mashed potatoes as her mother went into an unnecessary amount of detail regarding her gymnastics incident.

"When was this? She doesn't look very different in the photo."

Pink dusted the girl's ears and crawled up the sides of her neck as Phoenix's deep tone filled the room. Why was he asking questions again?

"Oh, this was only just over a year ago. A shame though really, the coach said she had great potential." Turning to her daughter with a raised brow she chastised, "They told you, you weren't ready for that tumble pass sweetie, to this day I don't know why you insisted."

Ignoring the statement, Penelope proceeded to stuff her mouth with food, continuing to wonder how the conversation had even taken this turn.

"So, she must've been good then. Flexible and all of that?"

His words sounded like nothing more than an innocent inquiry to Penelope's mother and she babbled on with an "Oh, yes", offering examples of different flips and sequences that her daughter was able to do before the injury.

But for Penelope the question had her eyes widening in shock, never minding the large hand that had suddenly come to rest on her bare thigh.

"How about desert?" The girl blurted hurriedly as she felt his hand start to wander; he also wasn't about to get away with those subtly inappropriate comments.

Lila didn't seem to notice the haste to her request, seeming quite happy to agree.

"You're right—I hope you like chocolate Phoenix, I bought a cake from one of the cutest bakeries in town—"

A knock on the door drew a strained pause and Penelope furrowed her brows in confusion at who that might be.

"I'll be right back." Her mother said before disappearing to get the door.

As soon as the woman had left, Penelope was turning to her boyfriend with a scowl.

"You're in big trouble for that comment."

"What did I even say?" He laughed, more so from amusement at how serious she was being; or maybe it was because he knew exactly what he said and why he said it.

The brunette went to further berate the boy but faltered when she heard a male voice coming from the direction of the front entrance.

"I told you not to come, Jack."

"No, you told me that you weren't having a dinner, which, by the looks of it, you clearly are."

"Are...are you drunk?"

A chuckle sounded from the man and Penelope glanced at Phoenix worriedly, but his eyes were dark and solely trained on the entryway.

"Well, I did just come back from the bar Lils; saw the cars in the driveway and said 'why not', maybe find out why you've been avoiding my calls."

"Jack, we can talk another time when you're sober."

"Just let me in Lila, I'm here now so you might as well"

Penelope's heart dropped when she heard heavy footsteps approach the dining room and she felt Phoenix's grip tighten around her thigh as he rounded the corner.