C u d d l e s

"Mom" Penelope called while knocking on her door.

"Come in sweetie!" Her mother replied from inside. 

Penelope opened the door and closed it, before going to sit on the bed where her mom was reading a book.

"So-" Her mom started, closing her book and sitting up a bit more. "How do you like Jack?" She questioned with hopeful eyes.

Penelope sat down next to her mom and her heart beat hard and fast in her chest. She didn't want to lie to her mother about how she felt about her new boyfriend but she was also scared of hurting her feelings.

"He's...nice?" She replied, in almost a questioning tone.

Her mother's brows furrowed and her head tilted in confusion.

"Is that a question or a statement?" Her mom asked.

Penelope played with her fingers to try and calm her frantic heartbeat.

"I guess he's nice? I mean, I don't really know him mom. And I want you to be happy, believe me I do but I feel like he was overstepping some boundaries."

Lila made a confused sound and grabbed Penelope's hands in her own.

"He hasn't done anything inappropriate, right Elly?" She asked worriedly.

Penelope shook her head immediately at her question.

"No, no it isn't anything like that. I just- I feel like I just met Jack today but he's already referring to us as a family and telling me what to do."

Her mother simply laughed at her words.

"Elly, I've been seeing Jack for months now, so obviously I've talked about you quite a bit. He's very protective over you and although you may not like it, he's going to be a bit more strict than me when it comes to Phoenix and other things. Is that why you came to talk to me?" She said with an amused yet understanding smile.

Penelope frowned at her mother's words and pulled her hands out of their grasp. She was getting a little frustrated.

"Mom, he literally walked through the door and told me that I had to leave my door open while doing homework. Maybe he is protective over me but I don't really like how he's trying to be my dad."

She huffed out a breath and looked up at her mom, who's eyes were full of hurt.

Immediately, Penelope felt remorseful of her words and tried to back track her statement.

"I-I didn't mean-"

"No I think you did Penelope. Even though Jack is trying his best to make an effort you won't accept him as your father figure."

Penelope shook her head.

"I just met him-"

"I understand that but I at least expected you to give him a chance. I let him enforce some rules because I trust his judgement. And I hope that eventually you will too."

Penelope scrunched her face up in discomfort before sliding off the bed.

"I want you to be happy mom but this is moving a bit too fast for me."

"Then you're just going to have to catch up."

Penelope's mouth parted in shock, before she turned and exited the room, while running shaky hand through her brown tendrils.

When she made it to her room she threw herself on her bed and stared at the ceiling emptily. Her and her mom rarely ever fought. And when they did, it was over petty things. This was a big thing and her mom was not listening to her. She felt dejected.