N o s e y

"What's wrong Phoenix?" Penelope questioned.

They had been working on an english assignment for about an hour now and she could see that he was more tense than usual.

At her words his jaw ticked and he let out a breath.

"Come here." He said.

Penelope furrowed her brows but obliged- getting up from her position on the floor to walk up to his seated position on her desk chair.

His large hands went to rest on her hips before he lifted her to straddle his lap.

A small squeal broke past her lips, emitting a small smile from Phoenix.

"I want you to tell me if that guy does anything to hurt you." His face went hard, although his eyes were still soft when looking at her.

Penelope made a confused sound and shook her head in defiance.

"He's harmless Nix I-"

Phoenix brought one of his hands up to thread his fingers through her hair- his thumb caressing the side of her face.

"I don't like him."

Was all he had to say for Penelope to shut up.

"Okay." She replied- although a hesitant tone laced her agreement.

She was already uneasy about the strange man her mother brought home but she didn't want to place judgement on him without getting to know him. Although, if Phoenix felt the way he did about John, maybe there was a valid reason.

"Go out with me." He said randomly.  Pulling her from her thoughts but surfacing déjà vu to the time he voiced the request before.

Penelope smiled shyly and blushed.

"I recall you asking me this already Nix." She giggled, throwing her arms over his broad shoulders so that her small hands could play with the hair at the nape of his neck.

"I don't recall asking." He replied, moving his hands to rest on her bum- pulling her closer to his chest.

Penelope bit her lip and shifted her head to hide in his neck- her face reddening even more at his blunt statement.

"I'm picking you up tomorrow at 6." He continued while rubbing her back.

She hummed at his words, her fingers staring to play with his hair once again.

Her actions helped Phoenix relax, in combination with the warmth and soft feel of her body. He let out a content sigh, letting his mind wander for a minute.

Although he quickly stiffened and  his jaw went slack when he felt Penelope roll her hips and her lips made chaste wet kisses on his neck.

"Baby" He groaned, trying to get her off. He didn't want to risk a repeat of earlier- especially since there was an unwanted guest just downstairs.

Penelope whined in protest and  sucked at his neck, trying her best to leave a mark.

She laughed when she felt fingers at her side tickling her, forcing her to stop her actions and allowing Phoenix to lift her off his body.

"Fucking minx." He breathed, before touching the bruised patch on his neck.

Penelope giggled and sat back down by her books, seemingly just in time.

A knock sounded on the open door and Penelope turned to face the sound, while Phoenix didn't bother to move from his position.

"I just wanted to see what all the noise was about." Jack said while leaning against the door way. "I thought you two were supposed to be studying?"

Penelope frowned at his words, not appreciating how she was suddenly being kept under tight lock and key. She then shuffled uncomfortably, becoming painfully aware of her short skirt and the exposure she was at mercy to.

Phoenix's eyes followed her actions, before looking up to see Jack doing the same.

"Watch it" Phoenix warned, getting up from his seat.

He walked over to Jack and stared down at the slightly shorter man.

"You seem to like testing my patience Jack." He said, basically spitting out the name.

Jack simply smiled but when his eyes flickered to the side of Phoenix's neck it faltered.

"I think it's time for you to go. Me and Lila want to have some family time with little Elly over here."

Phoenix clenched his jaw and stepped back, nodding to himself as if he was contemplating something.

"Come baby." He said, maintaining eye contact with Jack as he did so.

The corner of his mouth twitched in amusement at the man's obvious discomfort, meanwhile Penelope fumbled clumsily while trying to get up.

She smoothed down her skirt- while seriously contemplating never wearing another one again- before helping Phoenix put away his books and taking his hand to lead him out.

"I'll see you tomorrow" Penelope told him quietly when they were at the front door.

Phoenix nodded but grabbed her arm when she went to walk away.

He looked at her pointedly and pink dusted the tip of her nose before she stood up on her tipi toes to give him a kiss.

Of course he had to lower his head to help her out causing her to smile against his lips.

Not even a second later a person clearing their throat interrupted them.

"You should probably get that checked out." Phoenix commented bluntly.

Penelope giggled but stopped when Jack looked at her disapprovingly.

"Penelope do you mind joining your mother in the living room? Phoenix and I need to have a chat."

The small girl frowned and looked hesitant to leave her boyfriend alone with the stranger- knowing that anything said could set him off.

Phoenix though, nodded, giving her the push she needed to leave the two men alone.

After her departure the air was tense and silent.

"I would appreciate it if you kept your hands to yourself while in this house Phoenix. You know, common curtesy and all that." Jack said after a minute.

Phoenix simply stared at the man in-front of him in a calculating way. He couldn't be more than 5 years older than him. What was Penelope's mom doing with this guy?

"The only reason why you're not bleeding on the floor right now is out of respect for my girlfriend. Try that shit again and I can't promise you'll be as lucky."

Jack's cocky smirk dropped at his words and he grit his teeth as Phoenix walked away.

"Have a nice night." He yelled out, before closing the door with unnecessary force.