N e e d

"Hey are you sure you don't want to ride with us? It's getting dark."

Olivia stood outside her car with Fiona in the passenger seat, looking at Penelope with worried eyes.

"Ya I'll be fine. I called Phoenix to come pick me up, so he should be here soon."

Penelope's eyes flickered to Fiona's at the mention of her boyfriend but quickly returned her gaze to her friend.

"You should get going. I know how much your mom hates it when you miss supper."

Olivia smiled and gave the shorter girl a hug.

"Alright Elly, I'll see you at school then."

With that she was gone and soon after, the smile on Penelope's face left too. Thankfully her friends had only spent another 30 minutes on the roller skating rink after they ate because she was honestly not in the mood anymore.

Penelope was a very sensitive girl, and she definitely did not have a handle on her emotions. It was very obvious when she was upset and it bothered her that anyone could read her like an open book. Imagine if someone knew how you felt in every waking moment just by looking at you; it was the story of her life.

The rink had closed just minutes ago so she was forced to pace outside the front entrance while she waited for Phoenix.

Bored and needing a distraction, she started counting the pebbles on the asphalt, guessing the shapes of clouds and kicking acorns wherever she found them.

Fully engrossed in her child-like behaviour, she didn't even notice the familiar pick-up truck pull into the parking lot and a tall figure walk out.

Phoenix stared at her for a moment, a small smile etched on his face and arms crossed over his chest.

"Am I interrupting?"

Penelope squeaked and paused her mini soccer match, turning to face her boyfriend with red cheeks. The usual butterflies erupted in her chest and did somersaults in her tummy.

Dimples found her cheeks as she smiled and she launched herself at his muscular frame, wrapping her legs around his waist.

"Did someone miss me?" He chuckled, placing his hands underneath her to cup her bum.

Penelope didn't answer him. Instead she squeezed him even tighter and tangled her fingers in his hair. She revelled in the vibrations from his chest as he laughed, the sound itself acting as a soothing lullaby.

How could such a beautiful human being have so many pitted against him. She couldn't imagine experiencing the hardships he's faced and that only made her appreciate his strength even more.

"Did you have fun?"

Still, she didn't answer him.

Phoenix moved to sit her on the front of his truck, placing himself to stand in between her legs. Even then though, her legs were still clung to his frame tightly, their fronts pressed up against one another. Her clinginess was strange to him but he didn't have any complaints.

Penelope's green eyes studied Phoenix silently, a hand cupping his cheek and caressing the smooth skin. He truly was a sight to see and her dimples made another appearance at that thought. His current position allowed the sun to hit his face perfectly, his skin golden and dewy- reminding the small girl of a pot of honey.