S t u m b l e

"I'll get the Nutella crepe please."

Penelope gave her menu to the server after she placed her order.

Her and a few classmates decided to go out for lunch instead of eating in the cafeteria.

"Rachel told me that you went to that party on Thursday. I heard it was nuts. Cops showed up and everything."

Penelope grimaced but nodded. That definitely wasn't one of her favourite memories to say the least.

"Yeah...I probably won't be going to another one for a while."

The guy laughed and Rachel rolled her eyes.

Penelope and Rachel had gotten closer over the past couple days. They exchanged snaps at the party, and had been messaging ever since.

She invited Penelope to have lunch with her and her boyfriend Grey, promising that she wouldn't third wheel. So far, she had been staying true to that statement.

"So, where's Phoenix? I wanted to double date." Rachel pouted.

Penelope giggled and twirled her straw in her water.

"I know me too. He had to meet with a group during lunch though, so he couldn't come."

The group chatted as long as they could before it was time to get back to school.

After they paid for the sweet meal, Penelope went to the bathroom while the two waited for her in the car.

She quickly did her business and washed her hands before exiting the cafe. Like the clumsy girl she is though, she found herself stumbling into a body.

"I'm so sorry sir." She gasped.

She looked up to apologize again but her face blanched as she recognized the person.

"No worries sweet thing." Xan chuckled.

He stared down at her with an amused glint to his eyes, although they quickly darkened with mischief.

"Shit you're Phoenix's girl right?"

He leaned down so that their eyes were level, his lips turning up in a smirk as the blonde flinched at his actions.

"Tell him to stop by eh? The little fucker ran off without saying bye."

Penelope nodded frantically with her eyes wide.

The taller man chuckled before passing her to enter the cafe.

What would he possible want in there?

"Hey, what took you so long?"

Penelope smiled and shook her head, easing herself into the car.

"I just ran into an old friend."

...

...

...

"Hey baby" Phoenix greeted at the end of the day.

He just got to her locker and didn't hesitate to get his hands on her. Immediately he was touching her waist, trying to stand as close to her as possible while she put her textbooks away.

A small smile reached her lips but not her eyes as she closed her locker door.

"What happened?" He asked, knowing that something was wrong.

They walked down the hall, hand on waist and she shrugged before peering up at him bashfully.

"You know how I went out for lunch with Rachel and Grey?"

Phoenix nodded, unsure of where this was going.

"Well I ran into a guy..." She hesitated when she felt the taller boy tense up beside her.

"Who?"

"The guy from your apartment. I don't remember his name."

Phoenix's heartbeat picked up instantly. What was Xan doing. Did he tell her about the party? Why he was really there. Did he touch her?

"Did he say anything to you?"

"Ya but it was weird. He said you ran off or something? Do you know what he's talking about?"

Phoenix almost laughed but knew better. Xan was throwing a fit because he rather ditch him than get shot at a crackhouse. At the end of the day, he held up his end of the deal, he shouldn't be hearing from him anymore.

"No idea."

Penelope furrowed her brows and hummed.

"Are you sure? Wasn't this the same guy that you were doing stuff with? You can tell me if that's what this is. You know how I feel about it but I told you I wouldn't interfere."

The offer sounded tempting. And she made it seem so warm and inviting—the truth.

Yet, for some reason the boy resisted. Maybe it was because of her eyes; he couldn't bear to dim the spark within them.

"I'm sure, okay? It's nothing. At this point he's basically stalking me; if you ever see him again ignore him and call me."

The blonde eyed him with pursed lips before nodding in compliance.

Once satisfied that Penelope was being genuine his dimples popped in a smile.

"So obedient baby."

Of course the blonde blushed and scrunched her nose in embarrassment.

"What are you doing tonight?" He asked with a small chuckle.

"Nothing, just homework"

The two walked out of the school building and on to the sidewalk.

"Great. My group and I have to finish our project tonight and you're coming with me."

Penelope giggled and shook her head.

"Nix I can't just show up to your meeting. That would be rude and awkward."

His fingers suddenly tickled her sides making her laugh and fight to put distance between them.

"Well it's a good thing I don't give a shit"

"Nix seriously, I don't wanna intrude."

"You could never." He said, intertwining their fingers. "If anyone says something I'll take care of them. I'm not in the mood for anyone's bullshit."

Penelope frowned, disapproving his subtle promise to violence. Was her news really that upsetting?

"What really happened between you and that guy? I thought it was nothing."

Phoenix shook his head and ran a hand through his hair.

"He's just really fucking annoying baby, that's all."

The shorter girl finally relented and squeezed his hand in her smaller one.