CHAPTER FOUR Carter's perspective

First the sea turtle now the octopus? I have no idea what's happening around here but obviously something's wrong. There have been a couple news reports on dead sea animals washing up on shore, and some traces of oil in the water. Maybe the oils to blame for this. But then again the sea turtle wasn't dead, The six men were TRYING to kill it. Olive had went home after the funfair incident and so had I. When I got home I walked up to my room putting on a bathing suit, grabbing a towel and my binoculars and walked through our backyard down the the beach. I had always loved living in this neighbourhood. Almost every houses backyard had part of Monchico beach outback. I walked across the sand laying down my towel along with my binoculars. I wadded into the beautiful slightly warm water and sat down on the inflatable chair my Dad had tied to a rock. I looked out into the ocean the gentle waves rocking me to sleep. When all of a sudden I head a noise I looked up squinting my eyes and realizing I had forgot my sunglasses. Far out in the water were four boats. One was quite large the others a little smaller. It looked as if they were just fishermen. I looked harder and I saw that they were pulling out a gigantic fishing net, way bigger then I had ever seen. I could hear there voices, not enough to make out what they were saying. I felt my inflatable tube get pushed. I looked over the side in the water was a dead nurse shark. I screamed and my neighbour Alice Rowman came running down.

"What's wrong dear?" She asked from shore. All I could do was stare at the dead shark. "Honey are you sure you alright? Let me help you out".

"No no no I'm okay but there is a dead nurse shark right under me" I said on the edge of panic. It wasn't now until I realized the shark was missing all it's fins, it was just a long strip of shark body. "Alice could you go call the police?" I called to her still staring at the shark.

"Uh-ummm yes dear" she said running as fast as her old body could go all the way up to the house.

I paddled the chair as far to the shore it could go then I got off and got my things. Soon my parents and a couple other neighbours were all in our back yard and the police had arrived. They took the dead shark out of the water and got rid of it.

"Did anyone see who killed the shark?" The police officer asked. Every one replied with the same answer, No.

Later that night the boats had left and I had called Olive and told her what happened she said a dead eel washed up yesterday after the fun fair but she didn't have enough time to call me.

"We HAVE to figure out what's going on with all these animals!" I exclaimed. Olive agreed.

"Want to get together tomorrow and head to a couple beaches test the water and check for dead animals?" Olive asked. I could hear her washing dishes.

"Sounds good" I replied. I said goodbye and hung up, flopping back onto my bed and accidentally falling asleep.