CHAPTER SIX Carter's perspective

The storm had died down and Olive's Mom was coming to pick us up on her way home from work. The sky was grey like a damp stone and debris floated in the ocean water out back.

"Girls your ride is here" Mrs. Brunestin called from her chair near the front window. Mrs. Brunestin set down the scarf she was knitting and walked us to the door. Olive's mom opened the door, it made a screeching noise as the wood scraped the door frame.

"Hello Mrs. Shalls" Mrs. Brunestin said to Olive's mom welcoming her in through the door. "Thank you for letting the girls stay for a bit" Olive's mom said smiling and opening the door again to take us out to the car. Olive opened the door of her mom's silver van and swung herself in the front seat. Mrs. Shalls popped open the trunk and I slid my surf board in careful not to scratch it. I hopped in the back seat and clicked my seat belt on.

We arrived at my house and Mrs. Shalls dropped me off, I grabbed my surf board out of the trunk Olive waved goodbye and I waved back.

"see ya" I called as the car drove off. I jogged towards the house stopping to pet the neighbours cat Pixie and walked inside. I could smell the greasy scent of bacon drifting down the hall from the kitchen.

"I smell bacon!" I laughed as I walked onto the cold tiled floor in the kitchen. I smelt something burning as well.

"Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!" I screeched as a peice of flaming toast popped out of the toaster. I quickly unplugged the toaster and flicked the toast out of the toaster with a fork and threw a soaking wet cloth on it. Where are my parents! I thought looking out the kitchen window. Oh. My. Gosh. Outside was my parents and a couple other people were trying to pull our boat out of the water. It was ruined. I could see the glass of the windows had been smashed and the sail was like charcoal. It had been struck by lightening for sure. Torn pieces of the sail Olive and I had made for the boat floated on the water like lillypads.

Later that night I called Olive and told her what happened. I could tell she was upset.

"How about tomorrow we get together and go to the mini market in Stochtown?" Olive asked she said her Aunt would take us down for the day.

"Sounds good!" I exclaimed a little happier than before. At least I would have a day to get my mind off the boat.