CHAPTER TEN Carter's perspective

I swung my backpack on and headed out the door, today was my friend Tessa's birthday party. I was on my way to the party, her house wasn't far so I biked there. The invitation said the party started at 11:30, I was going to be late so I biked as fast as I could.

I arrived at her house five minutes late. I knocked on the door and Tessa came running to open it, she hugged me and invited me in I handed her my present and she set it on the nearest table.

" how are you?" I asked Tessa as she directed me towards he basement. I peered around the corner and seven people from school stood around as two guys played fuse-ball. I recognized six out of the seven people, Dylan, Sabrina, Kylie, Jacob, Kaitlyn, and Tessa's boyfriend Mitch. The mysterious guy with his back to me was one of the two guys playing fuse-ball. The mystery guy turned around and Tessa announced that everyone was here. It was Kyle. He looked around the room then he noticed me standing beside Tessa. He looked surprised, but smiled.

"Hey" he said still looking at me. I smiled blushing and said hi back.

"Ok, what do you guys wanna do first?" Tessa asked excited.

"Let's play call of duty!" Jacob joked laughing and a couple other girls laughed too.

"How about something else!" Tessa giggled.

"We could go out back to the beach?" Kyle suggested.

"Is that ok with everyone?" Tessa asked. Everyone nodded and we headed to get changed.

I slipped on a turquoise bathing suit with palm trees on it and wrapped myself in my orca beach towel. We all walked outback towards the beach and slipped off our shoes. Dylan, Sabrina, and Kaitlyn ran towards the end of the dock and jumped in sending huge waves up to shore. I headed towards the edge of the water, the waves on the beach looked like hands smoothing a bed sheet. I dragged my toes through the somewhat warm water and listened as birds and crickets chirped in the distance. A cold blast of water crashed into my head soaking me. My hair clung to my head like a wet dog, I looked up to see Kyle grinning guiltily in front of me holding a bucket. When I looked at him he quickly through it away and smiled mischievously.

"You!" I laughed and kicked water at him and threw the beach ball beside me at him.

"Run off the dock" Kyle insisted.

"I'm good" I said nervously.

"Come on you party pooper" Kyle exclaimed flicking water at me again.

"Fine but only once" I sighed. I headed towards the dock and ran toward the end. I leaped into the air at the edge I hit the water a huge splash lurched into the air as I went under. I can back up to the surface and took a deep breath.

"You did it!" Kyle laughed.

"Who said I couldn't?" I asked jokingly.

"Race you to that branch!" Kyle said quickly dashing off in the water towards the branch. I reacted quickly and swam off after him I reached the branch two seconds before he did.

"Beat ya" I panted holing onto the branch.

"Your fast!" Kyle huffed. "Oh I've been meaning to ask you are you busy Friday night?" Kyle blurted. My stomach swirled I couldn't tell of I was happy or kind of scared.

"No I'm not" I gulped trying to keep a smile.

"Would you want to go see a movie? The Land Of Nowhere is playing tomorrow" Kyle said shyly

"sure I would love to" I said smiling for real now.

"I'll pick you up at six if that's ok" Kyle asked.

"That will work" I said and we headed back to join the game of volley ball that everyone had started.