18; "you're safe..."

𝐃𝐞𝐧𝐳𝐞𝐥 𝐂𝐮𝐫𝐫𝐲
day 36 ; hour 23 ; minute 52
vesaix standard time

izaia's dream was impossible to understand. the point of forcing her into the crevices of he mind was to see where she would go. it became obvious that a fuck ton of her memories had been altered and locked away as i drifted behind her. i wanted to know what was being hiddened and why.

it started out with her watching the sunset. she was a lot younger, living in some barren wasteland that burned after dusk. it was odd seeing her happily watch the land light up in flames.

i dont think i would ever imagine her living in such a empty place. sector 16 seemed a hell of a lot more full then this. she went to school which meant she had to have classmates and teachers. but this place spanned for miles with nothing in sight but fire. this single area of mountainous land was all there was.

the sun was spewing flames at the area surrounding the cliff izaia sat on but never once did a ball of fire head her way. it was almost as if there was a force field protecting her. that would explain why she didn't seem scared in the slightest.

i followed izaia around. for a moment i thought that it was just a dream but it wasn't. it was very clear this had been a moment in her life by the way her focus narrowed in on a man speaking harshly to her. the edges of the scene blurred into oblivion as she lost her temper.

everything happened so fast. she was standing in the middle of the floor, shaking, then she was standing over the man, covered in his blood. and after she was smiling as if she hadn't just murdered someone. it made no sense.

the memory became distorted from there and i was left to my own devices to decipher what was happening, though i had little luck. i woke up to the sound of the train screeching to a halt, signaling that we had arrived in sector 78.

without me having to shake her, izaia woke up on her own, peering into my soul with her sleepy brown eyes. they were so innocent and naïve but her head was swimming with impurities. i dont think she was even aware of reliving the memory in her dream.

she smiled a little. "are we here?"

"yeah." i rubbed my face trying to undo the flustered feeling i was getting. "come on."

she held my hand tightly as we stepped onto the slate colored platform. to avoid anyone asking me questions i ordered an uber. I wasn't sure how the hell i was going to explain any of this to maria.

"denzel?" izaia was looking around at everything, confusion swarming through her veins. it was trickling into the tips of my fingers and i almost pulled away from how intense it felt. "where is here exactly?"

"calm down, you're safe." i assured her as we waited for the car to pull up.

"that doesn't answer my question." she frowned. "where are we?"

"massachusetts."

"and you're sure they won't find me here?" her heart was thumping harshly, hitting her ribcage in quick succession. it felt as if it were my own heart hitting my ribs. "because i think he would kill me for real this time. he'd torture me for an eternity and then kill me." her voice cracked as she looked at the ground.

i held her under my arm. her emotions were blending with my own, creating a vigorous current that surged beneath my skin. every part of my body burned but i didn't push her away. i don't think i could even if i wanted to. "i'm sure. and if they do find you, i'll protect you. i promise."

"i dont like when you do that." she whispered, hugging my waist.

"do what?" from my knowledge i hadn't said anything that would trigger her. there was a shit ton that i didn't know about her though, so it was possible that everything was a trigger. i summed it up as her being in a state of fatigue, similar to jetlag, she wasn't used to being surrounded by pure magic.