3; "what's sector 16?"

𝐃𝐞𝐧𝐳𝐞𝐥 𝐂𝐮𝐫𝐫𝐲
day 0 ; hour 0 ; minute 35
vesaix standard time

even in her sleep izaia was afraid, i could feel it in my chest.

if i were were maria, i'd be able to tell what it was in the dream that had her scared. but i didn't have that ability so i was stuck sitting against the headboard trying not to cry.

it wasn't that i necessarily wanted to cry, she did. her emotions were raw and unfiltered, as if she never learned to hide the way she felt from anyone. that would've made it a little easier for me. at least then i wouldn't have to experience the full extent of the dissonance in her soul.

her emotions paired with my own were a match made in hell.

i was stressing myself out but i couldn't blame anyone else.

universal traveling is one of the last things i'd learn as a traveler, so of course i rushed into it, deciding to try on my own without supervision. that alone would put me on a magic timeout for at least two months and leaving a witness would add another couple months to the mix.

the thought of traveling across different parallel universes was intriguing and i didn't want to wait for professor boutilier to bring it up in class. my patience was thin.

though there were two sides to every coin. there had to be a reason that i ended up here, aside from the fact that i just randomly traveled.

if i looked on the brightside, i could help izaia. and that was the only side i cared enough to look at.

i tapped the black apple watch on my wrist a couple of times, not sure if the last emergency alert went through. the downside of this all would be the magic restriction which i was trying to avoid. the screen flashed a red light couple times and then went dark.

out of all my friends, i was the one always popping up on their phones with alerts because i fucked up again. i was always fucking up, especially when it came to magic.

i wasn't a horrible mage, just ranked slightly lower than adequate. technically speaking, i was pretty decent, i just got ahead of myself, wanting to do the most; and before i know it, i'm setting my room on fire, or flooding it, or accidentally astral projecting.

i knew someone would find me eventually, i just had to wait it out. which wasn't my strong suit whatsoever.

i closed my eyes, hoping my dreams weren't as traumatizing as izaia's because that would fucking suck.

everything started off fairly normal.

i was in my illusions class, sleeping as dr. hudson droned on about the specifications it took to properly execute an invisibility spell. the room was dark and filled with chalkboards covered in latin.

"basil's robe of invisibility doesn't actually make you invisible, it instead mimics what's around you."

even though i had picked this area of study outside of my magic classification, i had no interest in the mechanics of it, i just wanted to be invisible.

"now you have to be able to accurately describe the environment you're adapting to. this is incredibly important in the special cases of camouflage spells," dr. hudson explained as the floating chalk wrote down what she was saying. "where everything around you is constantly changing, down to molecular bonds. so you must understand how to completely disappear under circumstances where objects are moving. now there are good examples and bad examples of how this is accomplished. would anyone like to demonstrate?"

everyone in the class raised their hands but me. so of course i was picked on.

"denzel, come on up and show us how cloaking works."