4; "back into isolation..."

𝐈𝐳𝐚𝐢𝐚 𝐈𝐧𝐞𝐳 𝐀𝐦𝐛𝐫𝐞
day 2 ; hour 09 ; minute 23
???? standard time

i woke up with denzel's bracelet clipped around my wrist, but he wasn't there anymore. sighing, i tossed the shimmering piece of jewelry on my vanity and started getting ready.

it wasn't all that surprising that he'd disappeared. i honestly didn't care if he came back or not. i hoped he never visited me again because i wasn't sure how i'd react.

"how did you sleep?" kelsey asked as i brushed my teeth.

"bad."

she seemed pleased to hear that. "would you like a sedation tonight?"

i shrugged. "i don't care."

"alright." she pat my back. "just know you can't change your mind."

"i know."

i didn't care anymore, about anything. i wasn't sure how i'd held on this long. it was common knowledge that i was stuck in this stupid dorm room until graduation. then it was back to being locked in the mansion across the ocean.

she left and the sound of her boots of the floor made me flinch.

i looked up in the mirror, denzel standing behind me with a smile on his face. my heart pounded as i swirled around.

"you-"

he wasn't there.

i threw my toothbrush in the mirror and stalked off. why was i torturing myself?

i got dressed in my school uniform slowly. the idea of performing had my nerves on edge. this grade was important if i ever wanted any freedom.

he promised he'd stop making me stay here if i received perfect marks for the whole year. this was the last exam i had and the only one i was unsure of. but i couldn't fail.

i slipped my feet into the mary jane heels by my door, adjusting the black straps to tighten them. then i knocked so they'd let me out.

"you look beautiful." eddison smirked, cupping my breast. "tonight i'll be extra nice to you."

there was this numbness spreading across my body. "i don't wanna be late." my voice was strong, not how i felt at all.

reginald led the troop, standing directly in front of me while eddison and kelsey covered the sides. vance followed behind. he was quiet and never did anything but monitor outside my room. still, the mystery shrouding him instilled fear in me.

they walked me to the auditorium in silence. we passed by a lot of my classmates and i had to keep my head high and my posture perfect and exude confidence. i was a fraud. but they never had to know. no one had to know anything about me. i was too become the forgotten.

"take your seat." reginald told me when we got to the doors. "we'll be waiting from here. you are to receive your grade and return to us, is that understood?"

"yes."

he opened the door and i entered.

the stage was lit up and decorated for the showing of hannya women, the one i wouldn't be attending. it was a family play and my family didn't visit me much... or ever. i'd cause other families to be uncomfortable if i sat alone and watched the play, that's what the head master said, almost tentatively as if she feared me throwing a tantrum.

i didn't care if i couldn't watch the play. it was just an extra couple hours out of my torturous dorm. i'd be subjected to isolation regardless of if i went or not.

sighing, i took a seat in the front row. i smoothed out my skirt and waited for ms. grimaldi to come out.

she was especially hard on me because apparently i was supposed to excel at everything. the expectations people had for me just because of my name were ridiculous. if only they knew how little my dad cared about me doing well.

i was nothing to be proud of.

"oh goodness me!" ms. grimaldi tittered. "i hardly would've seen you had it not been for that unruly hair of yours!"

i gave a tight smile and stood. "good morning miss."

"come on up here!" she motioned. "i will never understand how lord ambré allows your hair to be this outlandish mess."

as i climbed the stairs to the stage, i hoped that she was in a good mood today.

when i was in front of her she tried to smooth out my hair but it just wouldn't lay down. that always left her perplexed, why didn't my hair fall down my shoulders like hers? i never bothered to explain, only settling for 'i don't know' whenever she asked.

"oh i give up." she pouted. "are you ready to sing for me?"

i placed my bag on the ground. "yes miss."

she hustled to the computer and typed a few things to set up the music. "test the mic for me, i haven't gotten the chance."

i tapped the mic, leaning in slightly, "testing." my voice thundered in the empty space.

"alright everything is set, tell me when you're ready."

was i ready to have my boring life at the manor back? i wasn't sure, but it definitely seemed better than being holed up all the time.

"i'm ready, ms. grimaldi."

the music started and she sat on her stool as i stared into the abyss of empty chairs.

i didn't want to be alone anymore.

the thought of going through last night again made me never want to be alone.

so i sang my broken little heart out.

the lyrics depicted much of my life: a cushy little cage, with fluffy bars and no one to talk to. it was all decorated but a cage nonetheless.

"izaia!"

my eyes jumped to the frail woman- i had zoned out. "yes, ms. grimaldi? was i singing in the wrong note?" i wrung my fingers, trying to swallow the lump in my throat.

"you could've done better," she pursed her lips. "but you've shown so much improvement. we have work to do on your transitions, they could be smoother but you're getting there."

"thank you." i bowed my head. i wasn't going to fail but that perfect mark seemed to be miles away. "i'll try better next time."

she laughed. "sweetheart, that's all i want. now let me sign your report card."

i bent down and dug through my bag for the baby blue piece of card stock with all my grades. "here you go miss."

ms. grimaldi quickly wrote on it and passed it back.

perfect marks.

"be aware, this class isn't about your ability to sing, more so the concept that you are able to sing." she said. "you have always been able, you just let the lack of ability hinder you. i'm glad to see that you are taking your studies serious and putting your all into everything you do."

the words would've meant so much more, seemed less shallow, stuck with me if i didn't know that this whole establishment was a sham.

ms. grimaldi masqueraded as the innocent vocal professor but just like everyone else here, she wasn't all rainbows and sunshine. being complicit was just as bad in my book.

"thank you miss."

she gave me a lazy smile. "off with you, that security team of yours doesn't like to wait long."

"they never wait for anything." i whispered bitterly.

i picked my bag up and headed back where i came from.

the cushy cashmere cage with fluffy bars and a four post bed and a chandelier and ensuite bathroom and a walk in closet.

back into isolation i went.

[AUTHORS NOTE]
you thought i forgot and i did– n e waiz, no update next monday :)
- xero