17; "the sound of sleep..."

𝐈𝐳𝐚𝐢𝐚 𝐈𝐧𝐞𝐳 𝐀𝐦𝐛𝐫𝐞
time passed unknown
location : destiny rail line - car 7,920
???? standard time

"i have a question."

i was staring out the window across from me, watching colorful lights and pictures and people whizz by. the train was relaxing in a way, i didn't have to worry about anything anymore. i was being taken away from all the bad stuff.

"izaia?" denzel said my name and it sounded disgusting. it was like the sharp, gooey sound fermented blood pudding bubbles made when they popped. "can i ask you a question?"

my ears felt as if they had experienced hellish burning. i dropped his hand and rubbed aggressively at the canal of my ears.

"what's wrong with your ears?" he looked at me oddly.

i grimaced. "it hurts."

he held my head, looking into my ear. "i mean, i don't see anything-"

i pushed him away, my breathing becoming short. "of course you don't. it hurts, you can't see my pain."

after a moment i apologized for being so hostile. i was deeply grateful for him keeping his promise. he'd been the only person in my life to not back down on his word and i appreciated that. i assumed there was something in the air that i wasn't use to.

"it's okay, you're having like culture shock type shit." denzel mumbled. "probably because the magic here feels different."

i looked at him with wide eyes, holding my head tightly. "can you hear my thoughts? don't go in my head with your stupid magic."

he found that funny. "i'm not in your head."

"good." i played with the bracelet he gave me for a second, contemplating whether or not i should grab his hand. i told myself that i didn't need to touch him every second to know he was real, though i didn't believe it. i tucked my hands between my thighs just to make sure i didn't subconsciously try to grab him.

"how'd you end up in that sector?" he questioned.

"hmm?" my eyes were locked onto his hands. "what's that?" he was starting to disappear which freaked me out. i glanced up at his face only to be met with one that wasn't his.

it was a deep red with wrinkled skin and sharp teeth sticking out its mouth. i could only describe the demonic expression as blank. despite the way it looked at me- as if i were it's next meal- i didn't feel fear. why was i seeing it?

i blinked a couple times, the image making my head swirl. denzel was talking but i couldn't hear him. "sorry, could you repeat that?" my throat felt dry and scratchy. there was definitely something in the air.

he must've given me a long explanation because he just sighed and said, "the place you were, it's the place closest to hell."

why did this information not feel surprising? "i must've been born there."

"what do you mean must've?" his eyes narrowed in confusion.

i was feeling dizzy, overly aware of everything around me. why did the glass look so... visible? "i don't remember that well. i thought i was being rescued. i don't really wanna talk about it."

"well what about your dorm room?" he asked. "why were you being guarded? why'd they lock you in?"

"so i wouldn't run away." the words tasted sweet now that i had actually done it. i had actually gotten away from all the shitty people in my life. it felt great but terrifying to a certain degree.