6; "i don't have time..."

𝐃𝐞𝐧𝐳𝐞𝐥 𝐂𝐮𝐫𝐫𝐲
day 13 ; hour 16 ; minute 48
vesaix standard time

the next two weeks i had spent perfecting my time travel spells with passengers. it's all i did. my sleep was restless constantly picturing the defeat on izaia's face. the entire situation felt like a bad dream, but i knew it wasn't when i came back without my hat. i really liked that hat.

jovaughn stood near me watching as i read the spell from an old leather book. it described exactly what i needed to do to get to a time zone outside of the one i was in.

the spell seemed simple enough, i just needed to envision the place i wanted to teleport and then blink.

of course everything that seemed simply wasn't.

there was math involved while i was doing that. before blinking i needed to calculate my projectory and landing, and since i was transporting two people, it was more complicated. i didn't exactly have a specific place in mind either so my math would end up wonky.

that's why i'd been fucking up so much. either i was miscalculating my landing or overshooting the location or i was just completely forgetting to bring jovaughn with me.

i had been rushing through my lessons to get to the level i needed. i was fine traveling on my own or an occasional passenger, within my the area around the school. outside of that i had no clue what i was doing.

every time i messed up my nerves sent me over the edge. i didn't want to spend too much time away from her. the way she turned her back on me was gut wrenching. i had disappointed her. breaking this promise was not an option.

a people pleaser, that's what i was. jovaughn never let me live it down. he was never wrong though. i was putting this girls wellbeing over my own. i was rushing into this disregarding the fact that i could screw up and land myself in a volcano or the middle of a war. i wouldn't be of much use to her if i was dead.

with everyday passing i felt like giving up and trying anything but this, a protective spell or calming charm, anything else. still i kept at it because i had promised i'd get her out of there and this was the only way i knew how.

"yo, you dead rushing through these spells faster than before..." jovaughn drawled in his heavy new york accent. "shit took you at least six months to get off that one level."

i grunted. "i know." it had taken me a year to graduate from level 4 traveling. you'd think time zones would be easy to navigate but they were complicated and even more so when people were tagging along. and like i said traveling outside the area around the school took a lot.

"and you think you can do it in two weeks?"

"yes."

the sting that came from him smacking the back of my neck broke my concentration.

"i have to focus."

"zel, nah. i don't think it's a good idea for you to jump straight to dimensional spells like this. that shit is way above yo current ability. plus this shit has to be supervised hella." joey told me. "why rush it?"

"i just have to. stop asking me so many questions, fuck." i gritt my teeth. he was fucking up my concentration. the math was already confusing me enough.

if i told him what i was doing then he'd try to talk me out of it, tell me she wasn't my problem, that i didn't owe her anything. he didn't understand how shitty i felt leaving her though. letting people down made my heart sink out of my fucking body.

"you wouldn't have even made it back here in one piece last time if someone wasn't looking out for you. i'm just saying denzel... you might wanna get it right when it's just you." he sighed. "you know it was an accident with the math, you cant really expect to replicate that shit."

"i don't have time for that." my heart thumped. the way her eyes glossed over when she heard them coming was terrifying. the way she looked at them as if they'd cut her head off if she disobeyed, it made me sick. leaving her stranded was just as bad as me being sucked into a black hole. she didn't deserve to be there. "let me focus."

"i have a say 'cause it's my life you fuckin' with buddy." he muttered. "you not good at math my guy, why you think you always screwing up?"

i ignored him and repeated the spell under my breath, envisioning palm trees and blue seas. i'd show him.

the numbers swirled in front of my eyes and i carried the one, subtracted the total weight, multipled the speed by two, and divided it all by eight. it was wrong but i was praying that wouldn't send us to a planet two galaxies away because i'd left out the distance equation.

blink.

the rush of water slowly filled my ears and wind tossled my shirt. chatter surrounded us and i opened my eyes to a beach.

"yo? where are we?" joey asked almost surprised.

i turned around to face him. he was actually there. maybe i wasn't a big fuck up. "yo, you can't say i'm not good at math no more."

"nigga where are we?" he looked down at his brand new balenciagas buried in sand.

"i don't know, i just thought of palm trees." i laughed looking around. "i was hoping for miami."

he let out a deep sigh. "so anywhere," he chuckled sarcastically. "good to know."

"i mean... how many places have palm trees?"

"hella. i swear i hate you." jovaughn shoved my shoulder. "i don't even know why i agreed to this."

"let's see if i can get us back."

"nigga we could be anywhere, do you understand that. how are you calculating getting back to vesaix?"

getting back was not my strong suit, i always traveled to some random ass place and didn't know how to get back. generally speaking traveling was just not something i excelled in but that didn't matter. izaia just wanted to get out of the shitty situation she was in and i could do that. i had promised her.

"i don't know, let's find a sign or something." i suggested.

as we walked around i felt fidgety, like i was being watched. her voice was calling to me, it was loud in my ears and for a second i swore she was standing right behind me. it was crystal clear, begging for me to come back.

i stopped midstep, spinning around. of course she wasn't there but what did i expect?

"fuck!" my fist clenched and i kicked the sand. i was wasting time.

jovaughn gave me a weird look. "you good?"

my heart sped up just thinking about being too late. "i don't wanna talk about it." i kept walking, faster than before.

"you been acting mad strange since you went to that weird ass place." he stated. "you were only there an hour at best, fuck did you see?"

"it's nothing, joey drop it." i shoved my hands in my pockets. i didn't see anything, it was what i felt that had my heart jumping double dutch.

what i felt was like a nightmare.

i knew time worked differently at vesaix but that difference varied from dimension to dimension. i wasn't sure what increment of time sector 16 was in. the only thing i was certain of was the she wasn't safe.

the way her eyes lit up at the idea of me being real crushed my spirit. what the hell had she seen that made her question reality so much?

being an empath meant i could feel izaia's emotions as if they were mine and the girl was terrified and alone. she was tired and when she said she wanted to be taken away, i knew she meant it. she wanted to leave spiritually. That was always bad regardless of who it was.

"you brought us to hawaii?" joey rubbed his temples. "are you sure you can take us back?"

i nodded slowly, my temper calming down just enough for me to think. "yeah..."

"you don't sound sure."

in the midst of my emotions going haywire i had forgotten a portion of the spell to go back to the school.

"i forgot," i rubbed my forhead. "not the whole thing, just the end."

"you gotta be shittin me." he groaned.

we were fucked and it was all my fault.