7; "only the darkness..."

𝐈𝐳𝐚𝐢𝐚 𝐈𝐧𝐞𝐳 𝐀𝐦𝐛𝐫𝐞
day 39 ; hour 11 ; minute 14
???? standard time

for the first time in almost two years i'd see my dad. i'd get to talk to him and wait outside his office. i'd see the horses again and marigold and my old room.

i smiled the whole way to the plane, which reginald found amusing.

"izaia, are you excited to see your father?" he cooed at me like i were a child. "you're usually never this peppy."

i felt like a child again.

i was fond of reginald even though he didn't protect me. maybe it was because he'd been there with me for as long as i could remember. he was my first bodyguard. i let him call me by my first name and lead me everywhere.

a lot of that fondness stemmed from fear though. it was sort of stockholm syndrome, i wanted to want to leave but i found comfort in my guarded cage.

"very."

"how long has it been since you've been on the jet?" he asked.

"so long." i sighed sadly. "so so long."

five years, maybe, since i'd flown here. i couldn't remember exactly, time was alway so blurry, but it was way too long. my room was stuffy and made it hard to breathe. it surprised me that there was even an outside world sometimes. all i knew was the academy. the academy i was ready to leave behind.

i climbed the stairs, hardly glancing at the interior. it didn't matter what i rode in as long as i arrived at the manor in one piece.

my butt hit the cushioned chair and i leaned back, wishing my hands weren't bound together. i wanted to recline my chair.

whenever i left the campus, which was very rare, they alway cuffed my wrists and escorted me with extra security. if only they knew i had no intentions of running away. not when they could catch me at least.

my eyes closed as everyone settled down. this flight wouldn't take long, maybe a couple hours at best. it was like the jet was travelling through time.

i thought of the questions i would ask him. i thought of his face behind the mask, wondering if he'd be proud of me.

i wanted him to be proud that i kept my end of the deal, that i didn't fail him. his disappointment was paralyzing. i hated when he was disappointed in me.

this time would be different. hopefully.

i thought of my name and the affect it had. izaia inez ambré. it made my lips tingle just thinking of it. as much as i hated being the bearer of it, i loved it, saying it and watching people fall to their knees like i was royalty.

i whispered it softly, imagining wisps of smoke curling around the words. it was beautiful if nothing else.

"what're you giggling about?" eddison said in a tight voice. he never wanted to see me content.

kelsey shushed him. "leave her alone, she's going to see the boss." they weren't allowed to say his name.

"oh. i forgot about that."

i stared out the window, watching as the academy sign shrunk in the distance: die dunkle akademie der dämonischen kunst.

i pursed my lips thinking of how long i waited for this exact moment. i'd finally be out of that stupid room and it'd be just me and reginald again.

no more sedation, no more hallucinations, no more loneliness.

maybe i'd find denzel. maybe he was someone from my past that i had imagined. thats why he seemed to be there, under the tips of my fingers.