Chapter 32 - The Onikuma

Start from the beginning

The Onikuma

When a bear has lived for many years, it becomes an onikuma

It possesses enough strength to be able to move boulders as large as two meters in diameter.

It is said to be able to kill a small animal simply by pushing it.

It comes down from the mountains to steal horses and cattle, which it brings back to the mountains to eat.

Additional note

These ruthless creatures are also known as "demon bears". They can easily manhandle any creature with their brute strength. However they aren't just muscle heads, they'll throw heavy boulders at any and all creatures given the chance. I will now recount my unfortunate luck to have run into one of these behemoths.

I was traveling through the mountains with a caravan heading deep into the north to reach the arctic tundras. The caravan leader said they'll only take me as far as the start of the deeper parts of the mountain to avoid the demon. My curious nature got the best of me as I inquired more of this so called 'demon'.

Before he could answer me a giant boulder landed on the wagon behind us. At first I thought it was a rockslide but then we would've heard it coming, not a second later another boulder landed on the wagon at the front. We couldn't move passed the broken wagons or boulders and there was a steep edge to our right.

Whatever was happening wasn't natural as we then felt the ground shake as something jumped down from the mountains. It was a bear but it's eyes were bloodshot red with bloodlust and hunger. The remaining caravan members readied their weapons to fight this demonic bear. But I knew this was futile as one of the more giant men charged at it with his broadsword only to be smacked away by it's huge paw.

That man had to be at least 150lbs and it just swatted him like a fly. The man's body was launched off the edge of the mountain, falling to his death. Seeing their comrade die they attempted to swarm it with their numbers. While they foolishly attacked it I began to climb over the rubble to escape. Now normally any creature could be overwhelmed by large numbers, but this creature was far from normal.

It merely swiped it's paw cutting off all their heads except one. The remaining man attempted to run but the demon wrapped it's arms around him and began to squeeze. By this point I was over the rubble but I could still hear the man's pain filled screams. As I was about to run the screaming stopped and his body was launched at my feet. His body looked as if everything inside him was squeezed out. I looked up and I saw something that will forever be burned into my memories.