Chapter 17

Chapter 17

The biggest difference in the castle was the guards. Before the attack, there were twenty-five guards posted per wing. Now, there were fifty cautiously looking about. They scrutinized every movement. Genevieve felt trapped and stuck in a prison. As much as the guards were there to make sure no one broke in, it also made it harder for her to sneak out. Most of all, Genevieve missed Chelsea badly.

She remembered the last time that Chelsea went missing. They were seven then. They were playing hide-and-seek, and no one could find Chelsea. Genevieve got so scared, she told her parents and all the guards started searching for Chelsea too. In the end, Dorien found Chelsea hiding in a pile of laundry.

Dorien! Genevieve forgot all about him! He must be worried sick about Chelsea. She hastily ran to see him, chastising herself for being such a bad friend.

As Genevieve walked to Dorien's room, she bumped into someone, sending bunches of clothes everywhere. "I'm so sorry," Genevieve said as she looked up to see who she bumped into.

As she glanced up, she saw the familiar face of Scylla, her mother's lady-in-waiting. Scylla's green eyes glanced at her as she pushed her wavy black hair away from her face. "It's fine, Your Highness," Scylla said, as she bent down to pick up the clothes.

"Let me help you." Genevieve said as she bent down to pick some clothes. As she picked up one of her mother's dresses, she saw something flash on another dress. Scylla grabbed the bunch of dresses. "Thank you, princess," Scylla said, "but you don't need to help me."

Odd, Genevieve thought. Must be the sunlight. She shrugged it off and continued on her way to Dorien's room.