Episode Seven - Chapter 33: End Of The Beginning

Louis’ POV

The ticking penetrating through my eardrums was driving me insane. My eyes felt heavy and my mouth was dry. “NIALL PLEASE!” I snapped as the blonde Irishman just about jumped out of his own skin and stopped tapping. “Sorry...” he whispered looking down and folded his hands together on his thigh. I instantly felt bad. “No...” I said slow and softly. “I’m sorry.” I moved over and sat between him and Zayn, who had been lucky enough to fall asleep hours ago. “I’m just tired, irritable, and I want to go home.” I said looking down at my lap. “Me too. I just wish they knew we were innocent. ” He whispered. I nodded, wishing for the same thing he did. They took my watch away from me, but I was guessing it was around five in the morning by now because the night guards in the hallways began to leave and were replaced by rougher looking guards. Maybe it was because you could actually see them during the day and they wanted you to be afraid. I’ll admit I was. Zayn was stirring in his sleep, he usually slept like he was a dead man, but this cold hard cement floor wasn’t the comfiest of places to sleep. Harry and Liam were lucky enough to be released, and I was hoping that they were getting a better night’s sleep than we were. I fiddled with my trousers and then the hem on the bottom of my tee-shirt, but no matter what I tried to distract myself with in that cell, my eyes seemed to be brought back to the blood on the floor that resembled an ‘A’. It made me so angry. A big shadow then filled the space of the cell and I turned around. “Mr Tomlinson, you have a phone call.” I got up as fast as I could. “We’re allowed phone calls?” I questioned. “Shut up and do as you’re told.” he said as he opened the gate, letting me out but leaving my two best mates still sitting there trapped. I didn’t know if this was a good or bad thing. Was I being tricked? I had no choice. Niall looked up at me and I smiled a promising half smile to give him some hope. I started walking down the corridor and took one last look at Niall who stared back at me and Zayn, who was still lucky to be sleeping this nightmare away. Every step I took I hoped it wouldn’t be the last time I saw them. 

“H-Hello?” I said picking up the phone. “Hello darling! I’m so sorry that this has happened to you!” My heart skipped a beat at the voice on the other end of the phone. “Cher!” I said, a real smile appearing on my face. “That’s me darling! Now listen to me, I’m going to help get you out of there okay? How much is your bail?” “Look Cher, I don’t even know if we’re allowed bail. Don’t worry about it, I can handle it.” “I could at least get you a good lawyer, you know I have good taste in people!” I could hear the smile she had on her face through the phone. I imagined it painted on her face. “I owe you babe.” I said, not knowing what else to say before the phone timed out. “Am I allowed to make my own phone call?” I asked the guard standing next to me. “No, you’re coming with me.” He said and I felt my heart sink. 

I followed the bald guard down a different dark corridor, one which wasn’t to the cell Niall and Zayn were in. I didn’t know what to think at this point, I just knew that I was scared. He was quite overweight and had to squeeze himself through the security check points before letting me through. In the distance I saw Niall and Zayn standing at some sort of counter. I was immediately relieved knowing I wasn’t going to be alone. Niall had his phone and had turned it on. I frowned at them as I was brought to the counter and then given my own belongings. Zayn looked at me with big eyes. I took my phone and wallet and slid them back into my pocket, not even willing to turn it on in this territory we were in. “Sign these forms please.” the curly haired lady said from the other end of the counter. Not knowing what I was signing, I signed at the bottom nonetheless, I knew better that not to cooperate with the law today. “Alright thank you! You’re free to go!” She smiled. “I’m sorry...what?!” I said as my heart skipped a beat. She just stared at me in confusion as the bald guard walked back down the corridor to the cells. “Come on Louis.” Zayn said under his breath as he and Niall both grabbed me by my arms and dragged me out into the reception area. 

It was then I knew it was safe to turn my phone back on, but I looked up to see two familiar, but distraught faces. “Harry! Liam!” I said running up to the both of them to give them a group hug. I knew we could count on them to get us out. I don’t know what they had come up with or how they did it, but I was truly thankful. I looked at Harry before remembering our little dispute about girls during the whole fire incident. He looked distraught, but I was just happy to have him there by my side, and on my side. “I’m sorry about yesterday....best friends?” I said holding out my hand, an invitation for him. He looked confused. “What?” He said dazed. “I thought you were annoyed with me.” I said. It took a couple of seconds before the light switch went on. “Oh...ermm...yeah of course!” He said giving me a hug, still not completely relieved. “You alright mate?” I said as we broke it off. “Gemma’s in the hospital.” was all he said, a blank face still plastered on his face. “For what?” “Trauma.” He said with a look on his face no one but the five of us would be able to decipher. It was because of ‘A’. 

The five of us walked down the stairs and out of the police station close together. The media swarmed us, shoving their camera’s further up our noses than ever before. Once we got to the bottom of the stairs I found the five of us, all standing in a line with our arms around each other facing the media and their flashes. Not only did we survive a night in jail for something we didn’t do, but we were best friends practically fighting for our own lives as well as each others. The name One Direction meant so much no matter what knocks it had taken over the past few months, but we weren’t ashamed, we stuck by it like we stuck by each other. The news vans caused a road block into the station and were parked down the entire street, we smiled and nodded and pretended to be strong and okay, but we all knew this wasn’t the end. Somehow I felt like it was only the end of the beginning.