Episode Nine - Chapter 42: Over Again

Liam POV:

I walked into the party hand in hand with Allison making sure she was okay at every checkpoint, the flashing lights and the screaming did make her very uncomfortable so I kept her close to my side. We were still holding hands for the world to see when Harry, Niall, Zayn and Louis dispersed into their own worlds for the night. New Years was always my favourite time of year because it was right after the joyous celebration of Christmas so festivity was in the air however I still felt the shadow of A following me around. I tried hard to push it out of my head as I looked down at Allison, we had become almost as tight as we were when she left but I could still tell she was hiding something and it could be the difference between her life or death. “Sorry about that, it kind of happens where ever we end up” I said yelling over the blaring music she shook her head in response “I guess that’s what happens when you are in “the biggest boy band in the world” Mr Payne” she chuckled using air quotations to get her point across that she didn’t really care about the fame. It made me smile but that smiled was wiped from my face the moment I saw a curly hair beauty through the kaleidoscope of colours that burst out in every direction. I let go of Allison’s hand as she made her way over to us in an outfit that screamed “look at me”.

“Well, well, well isn’t this a coincidence!” Danielle yelled over the music coming in to embrace me ignoring any sign of Allison even existing. “Not really, you kind of know all my friends” I trailed off in a matter of fact tone a little too cold and disconnected from her, she left me at the moment I needed her the most. She looked taken back by my harshness so in order to clear the air I gestured to Allison “Danielle this is Allison, an old friend and Allison this is Danielle an old flame” I said trying to emphasise the chances of us getting back together were dwindling. Danielle looked around the room trying to act as though she hadn’t noticed the tone in my voice as she smiled and stuck out her hand “nice to meet you” she said barely at all drowned out by the music. Allison took her hand looking as though she had just been called into the principal’s office, she seemed scared. “I... have to go get some air” Allison said leaving me face to face with the most awkward situation of my life. “She seems lovely...” Dani trailed off looking at me with a tilt of her head “yeah she is, we were friends in school” I said trying to cover the fact that my feelings for Allison had grown stronger than friends. “I see, well do you like her more than a friend? Because you seemed to make it clear that you weren’t into me...” she knew me too well and it scared me how much she could get from a tone in my voice. “No it isn’t that if you will excuse me I have to go get a drink” I said moving through the crowd trying to fit my body into the gaps like a piece of an intricate puzzle board.

Once I was far enough away I looked back in the direction Dani had been left hanging but she wasn’t there anymore and I figured she had finally gotten the hint that I don’t want to be with her. When I looked at her she reminded me of all the bad things that had gone on in my life, the death, the threats but when I looked at Allison she reminded me of the fun times of just being Liam... Just as I saw from the corner of my eye a girl smashing a bottle that Harry had given her my phone buzzed, I figured it would just be Harry telling me about the crazy girl.

*Boy meets girl, girl meets boy but this story has a twist. New Year’s resolution is picking which is the leading lady in this story Liam, I want to know who will be your undoing. You have until midnight otherwise I choose for you – A*

My heart dropped as far as my jaw when I saw the text knowing that it was a threat, I couldn’t let anything happened to either of the girls... If someone was hurt because of me, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself but then I thought back on that... I had already hurt so many people. I sprinted out of the dance party and made my way to the bathroom, looking at my watch I realised I only had 20 minutes to make a choice. I was about to round the corner but stopped when I saw two people in deep conversation that seemed to be very private, I lent my back against the wall inconspicuously. “He shouldn’t be falling for you he should be back with me so leave him alone” I picked up parts of the conversation over the booming of the music “he isn’t in love with me! Are you crazy?!” a voice that sounded like Allison retorted back. “I know what love is in those eyes; it was once reserved for me only so just leave him alone got it?” Danielle... it must be.

I heard the footsteps coming my way so I hid in the nearest door taking in everything, my hand scratch the back of my neck as I paced around the dark cabin.

*Time is running out Liam, 10 minutes to make the midnight kiss – A*

I walked out of the room as the song Die Young by Ke$ha came on, it was really fitting I thought as I walked up to the deck where everyone stood waiting for the fireworks to go off. A was threatening to hurt one of the girls if I didn’t choose but they were also threatening to use the girl I did choose to undo me... which meant they would hurt her... All these thoughts floated around my head as I pushed through the crowd. A hooded figure sprinted past me barging me to the ground and my phone slipped out of my hand, I grabbed it quickly and started after the person in the hood. It was good that running was one of the things that I was pride myself on but when there were so many human hurtles it made it hard to keep up. I said sorry to the “watch out’s” and “excuse me’s!” running down the stairs to the lower deck of the boat. Drinks and people were spilt in the commotion made by the hooded figure leaving behind a trail to follow but I still managed to lose them as they jumped the side of the boat into the water. I leant over trying to see into the blackness but nothing surfaced which either meant the person swam away or was holding their breath until I left so I sighed and let it go.

Walking back up to the upper deck I got the biggest death stares from everyone who had drinks spilt on their cocktail dresses or had been pushed to the ground so I kept my gaze on my feet leading me towards my midnight kiss. I walked over to the railing where she stood standing behind her as the countdown started.

3,

This was the right thing to do; I couldn’t risk anyone being hurt.

2,

It’s not about my happiness anymore, it’s about staying alive.

1,

At least she would be safe for now.

I took the girl into my arms and kissed her that’s all, no passion, love or affection was shown in the kiss then I pulled away. “Liam” Danielle smiled and kissed me again but I pulled away quickly not knowing how to explain when I saw Allison from my eye looking as hurt as ever disappearing into the crowd.

*Good choice Liam, New Years is all about new beginnings and maybe that is just what this love story needs – A*