Prologue: The Night it All Changed

None of this was ever meant to happen, things like this just didn’t happen to people like them. It had been in slow motion, the whole thing had just slowed down like a clock counting down until midnight on New Year’s Eve.  It had been a cool winter’s night and as they all formed a line into the van they had trouble keeping their balance so no wonder this problem had occurred. They were all on such a high from the gig, the energy from that arena rushed through their veins, that they couldn’t see this coming. Liam had jumped into the front passenger seat with Louis in the seat behind him. Niall had hopped into the middle seat with Josh on the right side of him whilst Harry and Zayn were in the back.

The music pumped from the radio as they drove along the pitch black tarmac illuminated by the dim street lights above them as well as the semi circled moon. Liam stared out the window imagining the fans pounding on it trying to reach him as the other boys chatted and talked loudly in the back. Louis had been cracking jokes again turning everyone into Cheshire cats, smiling and laughing as loud as possible. They came to a red light in which they stopped at slowly and once it ignited green the driver took off again however it didn’t take long for the other car driving in the opposite direction to manage to slide across the slippery road and collide with them.

Liam saw it from the corner of his eye; the headlights resembled the moon at its highest peak shining brightly towards him. He embraced for impacted as the others heads turned slowly. As their bodies tensed and everything went deadly silent, the impact of the other car sounded like a bomb going off. After it finally made contact everything sped up and there was no stopping. The car slid across the road as an ice skater slides across the ice rink until it came to a stop on the other side of the road.

The windows shattered around the boys and three of them lay unconscious, Harry, Niall and Josh. Liam was disoriented and founded a ringing in his ears in which he couldn’t get rid of. Louis stared dead ahead unresponsive and Zayn lay limp on Harry’s lap as if he were napping. Liam looked in the driver’s direction and had seen his head resting on the airbag but it was covered in red. Liam fell down back onto the airbag that had deployed itself and waited for help.

Not long after the red and blue sirens had filled the scene, stretchers were rolled out and blankets were thrown over everyone. The scene was horrific with both cars wrapped around each other as if they were dancing the tango however in a much more cynical way. It just wasn’t right. Somehow this had happened unexpectedly; they all awoke from their dream that night and fell into a nightmare...