Chapter 43

"I know you'll get the deal, A!" Jessie was squealing in the office. All of the ten people including me were ecstatic with the news I just told them. We will prioritize this project. 

Harry called an emergency company meeting. There were only twelve people working for Harry and Thalia, everyone else is a subcontractor. 

"First, I want to congratulate Adriana for landing on the deal with The Pearl." Everyone in the conference room clapped their hands.

"Second, I also want you to know that I am promoting Adriana as a senior partner of my company. I will sign the documents today and make it official." He announced. My coworkers extended their hands and congratulate me.

"Third, I am stepping down as the CEO, making Adriana, again as my successor.  Again, another promotion for her. I will be taking an early retirement. My shares will be transferred to her." Harry announced. Everyone, including me, was shocked.

"No way, Harry." I uttered.

"It's okay, Adriana. I have been waiting for this time. I know my company will be in good hands. I will be transferring my shares under your name because I won't want any complications in making you my heir with what me and my wife established. Besides, you are already running all the operations of this company. You only need the job title. My only wish is for you to retain its name after you have the rights." He explained. Many of my coworkers seemed to be happy about Harry's decision.

"With that, I hope everything will be better and bolder when I come back after my cruise. Thank you everyone for staying in the company with me and working very hard. I will see you after a year." Harry said smiling.

After some time of exchanging congratulations and good byes, everybody went back to their desks. I was left with Jessie and Harry in the conference room.

"What will I do now, Harry? "I said.

"Well, the company is in your hands. I had asked my lawyer to prepare the documents of transfer. Lets sign them now." Harry took some papers inside a blue portfolio. He started to sign it in front of us. I was in disbelief.

"Come on, Adriana. It's not my end yet. I know I need this break and I am only making things official. Even my brother doesn't mind. He doesn't want to have a mediocre company that is only breaking even. I am sure, in your hands, Harry and Thalia will go far. The deal with The Pearl is only just the beginning. Sign on the top of your names and I will send it to my lawyer at once." He said.

"I cannot thank you enough." I said teary.

"You can always give me a hug." Harry answered. I hugged him very tight and I was crying overjoyed. 

Harry went home after a while because he said his cruise will be leaving tomorrow. It would be a tour around the world. He seemed to be very excited. 

I still could not believe that I am the CEO of this company. That would only mean that I will make every decision for it from now on, including working with our top client, The Pearl. I remembered I need to call Carlisle before lunch and tell the decision of Harry and Thalia. I went back to my desk and started dialing their number. The operator connected me to Eve. Eve congratulated me and she connected my call to Carlisle in his personal number.

"Hello. It's me." I said. It would be my first time talking to Carlisle over the phone. 

"Hello, Adriana. So what has your boss said? Is there anything in the contract that he want to change?" He asked.

"It's okay. We agreed with your job order. I will sign the preliminary documents and let our messenger bring the papers to your office today." I answered.

"That's good. So I will see you on Wednesday morning. I will pick you up from your apartment at nine in the morning. Pack light. It's also summer there. You don't have to bring anyone in your team yet. I only want you to see the site before we had the ground breaking. It would only be for two days so don't worry." Carlisle said.

"Wait, Carlisle, about that-" I said.

"I do not take no for an answer, Adriana. You should know by now how I get things done my way. Good bye." Carlisle interrupted me and hung up on me. I was left speechless.

"What's with the shocked face, A?" Jessie asked me.

"I need to go to Greece for a site visit on Wednesday. I will be back on Friday." I said.

"Greece? Whooah, wait, are you going there for The Pearl?"  she asked.

"Yes. As soon as I come back, I will assemble the team for The Pearl project. Right now, we have to make sure that all other project of ours, no matter how small it is, will be done on time and be given the same effort." I said. Jessie nodded and continued with her work. I decided to bury myself with my work, too. I reviewed and followed up all existing projects and delegated more tasks to the rest of the company. 

It was already five o' clock when I finished working on the documents and reports. I  did not have a proper lunch because I was very preoccupied. It was nice of Jessie to bring me a Chinese dim sum. I did not bother to go out on a lunch with them. I need to have a meeting with everybody in the company tomorrow because whether I like it or not, I need to be at The Pearl's project site most of the time. How can I divide my attention to all our clients. I need to solve this by tomorrow because I am going to Greece with a person I have been running away from. I just remembered that I haven't gotten my car from the parking lot at The Pearl. 

"Hey Miss CEO, I'm heading home. I will see you tomorrow." Jessie said. I looked around the office and everyone was already on their way out. 

"Take care and see you tomorrow. Please close the main door before you go out" I answered. Jessie walked out of the office. I usually left behind at the office most of the time. I think I would still be since all decisions depend on me now. I put each project into color coded folder and carefully label them each. I decided to go to the city center and pick my car up. After packing my personal things, I made sure I turned off the office lights and locked the door. Glad that we could afford at least a night security guard. 

"Bye, Jimmy." I said to the night guard. He just nodded and smiled at me. He had been our security guard since I was just a trainee at Harry and Thalia's. I crossed the street and started to walk to the bus stop. I decided to check my phone since it would take another ten minutes before the next bus arrives. A silver Ashton Martin DB11 stopped in front of me.

"Get in, Adriana." a familiar voice said. I looked up and saw Carlisle all smiling at me.