Chapter 30

Carlisle sat down and let me go. I decided to stand up and ran towards the water. I wanted the sea water to wash all my feelings with this man. Having this kind of romantic feelings towards Carlisle won't do any good.

I plunged into the warm water and dipped my whole body so he wouldn't see me cry. What he said hurt me. How could I be so stupid? You are too old to believe in fairy tales. Don't fall for a man you just met. Why can't you be like Christine who enjoys life and fucking men around. Why can't you enjoy what Carlisle has to offer? Grow up, Adriana. I told myself.

I was under the shallow part of the beach for almost a minute. I felt that someone grabbed me out of the water.

"What the hell, Adriana? Why did you run away like that and splurge in the sea?" Carlisle asked me angrily. I was squeezing the water from my hair. I felt cold because of the wind breeze.

"You said we were swimming, so here I am." I answered sarcastically.

"You're unbelieveable. I know you are disappointed in me now because I saw it in your eyes, you want more from me." He said.

"Really? Aren't you numb afterall? What made you think that way? You think you know me already." I was about to burst with anger.

"I never asked you to buy expensive things for me. Do you think I am after those? Do you think I'm after your money? Take all the things you bought for me back if you want. I don't care." I added shouting.

"That's not what I meant, Adriana. I never took you as a gold digger." Carlisle explained.

"Then what do you take me for?" I asked with tears in my eyes. Carlisle got speechless.

"You care for me, you kissed me, you said you like me. You even told me that you want me. How can I not expect more if you keep doing things that make me fall? I was doing just fine at D. C. I don't know how to deal with this. This is all new to me and you make me confused." I told him still in tears.

"I'm sorry, Adriana, I never meant to make you feel complicated." Carlisle said.

"I'm sorry, too. I think I need to go back to D. C. Please book me the earliest flight back and we're even." I said and I walked away from him. I did not bother to look back where I left him.

I entered the villa and hurried to my room. I quickly took off the wet clothes and went under the shower. I was crying. At least, I did not lie about falling for him.

I put on the blue maxi dress I pulled from the suitcase Carlisle gave me. I did not want to use any of the things he bought for me but I had no choice. I quickly took my bag and put my personal things inside. I wrapped my own dirty laundry and threw it in my bag. I would not take anything he gave me. I neatly arranged all the unused things he gave me and I decided to hand wash all the clothes I used for the last few days. I hanged them by the room balcony to dry.

I was emotionally exhausted after a while and I laid in bed. I just hoped that I could crash in Edith's house when I arrive in D. C. Anyway, my landlady would be back after New Year. I would be asking Tony to let me sleep inside the store for a few nights until I get back my room keys from my landlady.

I heard soft knocks from the door. I stood up and went to the door.

"Who is it?" I asked before opening the door. If it's Carlisle, I wouldn't let him in even if this villa is his.

"It's Ashnae." She said. I quickly opened the door and saw her carrying a food tray.

"Why didn't you go down for dinner? Did Carlisle and you fight?" She asked. I kept my head down.

"Don't lie to me, you got puffy eyes, girl. You have been crying. What's wrong?" She asked. Ashnae went inside my room and put the tray of food down at the bedside table.

"I fell for him and he didn't. Everything is awkward between us already. I'm sorry to leave on your birthday tomorrow. I told Carlisle to book me the earliest flight back to D. C." I decided to be honest to Ashnae.

"Poor you. Please don't leave tomorrow. It's my birthday and I want to celebrate it with more than just one person. Sometimes shitty things like that happen but you don't have to run away from it. Face it bravely and continue living. Believe me, child, this won't be the first time you'd get hurt. Don't mind Carlisle. He's also confused and he's a stubborn to admit it. He'll be sorry." Ashnae said. I thought about what she said for a moment.

"Okay. I will stay for your birthday but I will go the day after tomorrow." I told her. Ashnae's face lit up.

"I did not prepare any birthday gift. I did not know it's your birthday. Marie mentioned it to me this afternoon." I said softly.

"Don't worry about it. Your presence is enough. Eat your dinner and I have a good night." Ashnae said and she hugged me tightly before leaving my room. It would have been nice if I had a family.

I went over the tray Ashnae brought. It had pigeon peas and rice, fish, and conch salad. I decided to eat what she gave up. The food tasted deliciously satisfying. I would have enjoyed eating my dinner if Carlisle and I did not argue. After eating the food, I decided to go down to the kitchen to get some more water. I saw that the back door was still opened and I decided to check outside.

The cool wind was blowing and the Carribean skies were so pretty at night. Stars were twinkling and the moon was bright. I decided to take a walk by the shore. I wanted to enjoy the Carribean before I go back to D. C. the day after tomorrow. I passed by the cabana and saw that one lampshade was open. I went to it and glimpsed at Carlisle drinking alone. I watched him from the tall hisbiscus plants. He was definitely drunk. He could walk straightly. He fell on the floor. I quickly ran towards him. He saw me standing by the door.

"There you are, Princess. Would you like to drink with me?" Carlisle was smiling at me.

"You are drunk. Go to sleep, Mr. Hughes." I told him.

"What happened to Carlisle? You should call me by my first name." He answered.

"You can sleep here in the cabana. The couch is big enough for you. Sleep on it so I can get my plane ticket tomorrow when you wake up sober." I told him.

"You'd leave me, too? Why do people always leave me? I know you fancy me as much as I fancy you. And I thought you love me." He complained.

"You don't believe in love, Mr. Hughes. I'm leaving because I'm quitting my job." I reminded him. I went to him and decided to helped him climb the cleopatra couch.

Carlisle was definitely drunk. He was talking and acting like a child. I looked at him as he laid down the extra big couch. As I turned around to go back to the villa, he grabbed my right arm to stop me.

"Let me go now." I calmly said.

"No. Stay with me." Carlisle said. He actually said it like he was begging.

"I am tired, too. I need to sleep." I told him trying to take his hand of me.

"Please, stay." He said.

"All right." I said. Carlisle pulled me towards the couch and embraced me tightly.

"Let me go." I commanded.

"But you agreed to stay. Lets sleep now. I am tired, too." He put my head on his left arm and hugged me with the right one. I could smell the mixture of alcohol and his perfume. He closed his eyes.

"Don't leave me again." He added. I thought he went to sleep.

"Only if you promise not to hurt me." I said.

"I promise not to hurt you, Princess." Carlisle muttered and I heard deep breathes after. He must had gone to sleep.

Carlisle's arms felt like home. The warmth of his embrace in a Bahamian cold night was very comforting. I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.