Chapter 4

Instead of going back to Carlisle's office or the parking space where my car is, I decided to go to Eve's desk. 

"What happened to you? Are you okay Adriana?" Eve asked me as soon as she saw me wiping my face with my hand. I knew Eve years back then. We used to be classmates in some of my enrolled subjects in college. We bumped again in to each other three months ago when I was buying groceries at Walmart. I learned that she got married but eventually got divorce because her marriage did not work out fine. She was left with a son and has been a solo parent for almost a year now. We had a little chit chat where I told her that I am working as an interior designer for a small firm. We exchanged phone numbers, too. One day, she called me telling me that the company she works for, The Pearl, would be opening a competition for designs that would be used for their upcoming project. I did not hesitate submitting our company's portfolio and sample original designs. The Pearl is one of those companies that is best to get associated with. I was actually beaming with pride when The Pearl called us back telling our designs would be included in the final presentations. 

"Please don't ask. Can I use your phone. I just need to call Jessie." I sadly told her. I knew she wanted to ask me more but she shrugged her shoulders.

"Okay. Here's the phone." she said softly while handing me her Android phone. I quickly dialed Jessie's phone number. Eve was still staring at me trying to figure out what happened.

"Hey, Jessie. This is Adriana. Please come back at The Pearl and pick me up. Long story. I will tell you later what happened. I will wait for you at the loading bay." I disconnected the call and gave Eve her phone back.

"Thanks. By the way Eve, can I ask you a huge favor?" I said.

"Sure, what is it?" Eve answered curiously.

"Can you please, uhm, get my bag from Mr. Hughes' office. I forgot it when I went out. I think I left it at his table." I told her scratching my head. 

"Oh, okay." She nodded. Her looks were more puzzled.

"I'll send my company's messenger to pick it up from you before you're out from work later." I softly smiled at her but still thinking how brute Carlisle kissed me a while ago.

"Sure, Adriana. Just tell your messenger to drop by before four. It's Friday and my nanny has a date later. It's been on our calendar for a month now so I couldn't cancel. I need to look after Peter tonight. Are you sure you are okay? What did Mr. Hughes do to you?" Eve explained.

"I'm fine Eve. Don't worry. I just have to go back now to my office. Thanks." I smiled at her and decided to go down the building. 

Damn it, my phone, keys, and wallet are in my bag. I was just glad that I can count on Eve to retrieve it and memorized Jessie's phone number by heart. If not, I would have no choice but to walk back at Carlisle's office. The last thing I want is to see him again. After a few minutes, I saw Jessie's car coming. I opened the door in the front seat.

"Hey, what happened? Why did you call me to pick you up? Did your meeting with Mr. Hughes push through? Where is your car?" Jessie was asking me. I don't know whether to tell what happened upstairs in his office or not. I just let a deep breath out.

"Let's just go back to our office. I need to finish the new  layout design Mr. Florence asked us. He needs it by weekend." with that, Jessie started to drive away.

"I know you A, what the hell happened upstairs? Did we or not got the deal from The Pearl?" Jessie was ranting at me now. She also knows that if we seal the deal with the designs of The Pearl, it would put Harry and Thalia in the designers A- list. Somehow she deserves to know that truth because she even gave up her old job to work full time at a sinking ship with me.

"We did not actually reach the part of talking about the business deal. I, uhm, I kinda walked out on him." I tried to explain to Jessie omitting a lot details. 

"What?!" Jessie shouted and she pull the car over at the side of the road. 

"Don't use that tone with me, Jessie. I am still your superior." I warned her. I don't usually boss around Jessie. Although she's my assistant, she is already like a sister to me. Besides, she has already proven how efficient she is  as my assistant and colleague. She knows every thing how things work in the office like the back of her hand.

"I'm still your superior, my ass. Do you prefer me talking behind your back? I know you too well A. You are one of the most persevering people on earth. Nothing could stop you from doing and achieving what you want. You can actually understand a whacko with your brilliance and patience, so what exactly happened upstairs? Why did you walk out on a chance like that? C'mon, I'm all ears." Jessie was persistent to know the truth.

"Uhm, Mr. Hughes and I knew each other back then. This was not the first time we met. " I carefully chose words to explain it to her. 

"Holy fuck, A! Did you two guys has history in bed?" Jessie gasped for words and asked for the worse. I bit my lips on how frank and vulgar Jessie is. She could have asked me in a subtle way.

"That and so much more." I coldly replied.

"Oh my gosh, you've got to tell me every details. That CEO is one hunk. I would gladly to be thrown in to bed by him anytime. Did you see his jaw? It's like it's chiseled by Zeus himself? And oh my lord, did you see how his green eyes stare? It's like piercing my soul. My God, A, you are such a bastard." Jessie was squealing like a teenage girl. Clearly, one daughter of Eve has fallen into Carlisle's charm. I rolled my eyes with her reaction.

"No! Just drive back to the office now." I told her annoyed already. "Go!"

"That bitchy CEO has it all, charm and money. He must have been really good. He got you. It's unfair! I want to hear the juicy details. " Jessie was already complaining.

"I don't like to talk about it, Jessie. Please, not now." I snorted at her. Why does this shitty conversation always happen whenever women found out I used to date Carlisle?