Chapter One

Chapter One

Starscream limped for a good week after the beating. Not only that, but he was silent as could be, almost as shut off from everyone as Soundwave. Knockout had attempted to be nice to him, even inviting him to his quarters any time he needed. But Starscream never came. He preferred to be alone and made no efforts to get close to anyone.

"Starscream." Megatron growled from behind the lithe Seeker when he managed to corner him at the helm of the ship. "You have been avoiding me."

"I was merely busy with my many assignments, Master." Starscream replied, wings dropped low to show entire submission. Fear rolled off the jet's frame like some kind of invisible smoke and the warlord could almost smell it, his lips pulling into a nasty grin.

"Not too busy to speak with your leader, I hope?"

"Never, Master. I live only to serve you." Starscream said, his tone holding a hint of sarcasm. Megatron's smirk curled into a snarl.

"Do not push your luck, Starscream." Megatron hissed, leaning closer to the other mech so he could show how much he meant the threat. Starscream backed up, his lower back ending up painfully pinned between the ex gladiator and the control panels of the Nemesis.

"I didn't mean any disrespec-"

"Lair!" Megatron roared, grabbing the Seeker's fragile wing and twisting viciously on the metal. Starscream reeled back as he let loose a terrible cry, claws scrabbling at the warlord with some sparse hope of escape.

"I wouldn't lie to you! Not eve-aaahhhgh!" Starscream yelped again as his other wing was yanked aggressively back.

"So full of deception and falsehoods. It would do you well to use such skills on the Autobots alone. I will not stand for it." Megatron spat, sharp dentas inches from the trembling Seeker.

Starscream mewled loudly when he was thrown down onto the floor, events replaying like they had only an Earth week before. He didn't wait this time to take more punishment. This time he fled.

Claws scratching the black floor under him, Starscream threw himself into a sprint before transforming into his jet mode. The Seeker took off down the hallway, heading for the landing strip on the top of the massive starship. He had to get away...he had to be free of that terrible mech...

"Starscream!" Megatron shouted after the other mech, instantly sending out some drones to retrieve the troublesome mech before he got out of the ship.

Starscream had no intentions of being caught. He bolted out of the starship and turned on his extra jets to get ahead of the small party of Eradicons coming after him from the landing dock. Knowing he could lose the less intelligent beings in the forests of Earth, Starscream set his course there.

He would have made it if he hadn't been hit by a lucky stray shot in the side where his already weak leg had been transformed. He made a muffled shriek as he started to careen down towards the blue and green mass of Earth. It might be riddled with Autobots, but he would take them any day opposed to Megatron now.

***

Starscream landed clumsily in a small forest clearing outside of Jasper, Nevada. He had no idea he had gotten as close as he could to the hidden Autobot base as he had, unaware his signal could be easily tracked by the other faction while he stayed so near. He couldn't find the energy to care, though, bleeding out energon from his left leg as he propped himself up against a fallen log. All he needed was a good recharge...that was all...

'At least I'm free.' Starscream thought before he shuttered his optics and went deep within himself to rest. He of all mechs needed it.

***

"Starscream's energy signature is coming from the forest...odd." Ratchet growled, finding a red dot was blaring from the screen in the hideout at him. Optimus stood at his side, a stern frown on his forehelm.

"We had better investigate." the Prime said firmly, motioning for Ratchet to come. The medic gave him a look that said "why me" all over it, his whole frame tensing with aggravation. "Why do you think Starscream is grounded?"

"How should I know?!"

"He is most likely wounded somehow. And when a mech is wounded there is a chance to change his mind about who he stands by. If we show him kindness he may return the favor."

"Or he will have us dead the moment he is strong enough! Optimus, you are absurd!"

"Then you can stay here." Optimus growled, displeased his oldest friend was not going to listen to his orders.

With that said, Optimus pushed the controls on the ground bridge and walked through, ready for anything and expecting nothing much. He knew the Seeker had to be hurt to be hiding out in a forest. It was not in his breed to look for places to hide on the ground unless something was wrong.

***

Starscream had gone unconscious from energon loss, entirely unaware Megatron had located him and was striding towards his limp and bloodied body. The silver mech growled, seething from his Second's actions. When that Seeker woke he would deeply regret disobeying his leader!

Starscream's optic shuttered opened slightly, his bleary gaze on the form walking towards him. Half delirious from the loss of so much energon, the mech tried to stand and make his way to the form he honestly thought was one of the Autobots. Mumbling something Megatron couldn't hear, Starscream collapsed in his arms in a heap.

"What has gotten into you, Starscream?!" Megatron snapped, shoving the Seeker away. He landed on his side with a short cry of pain, curling up tightly before shuttering his optics again. The warlord raised an optic ridge, curious. Maybe the others mech was trying to grovel and apologize for his idiocy.

"Would you like to go home with me, Starscream?" Megatron asked softly, knowing he could trick Starscream to return with him willingly. The Seeker nodded slowly, claws dug into the soft earth under him as he tried to cope with the pain.

Megatron smirked wickedly as he collected Starscream in his arms, ordering a ground-bridge from Soundwave. In seconds the greenish blue mass was before him and he strode into it, a moment later standing in his ship. Soundwave glanced over, spotting Starscream in his master's hold. Megatron said nothing and made his way to his quarters, setting him down on the soft metal berth before calling for Knockout.

If he could entice the Seeker, he knew he could control him. Whether by pain or other means, Megatron would find a way to have him under his command.