Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Megatron was standing alone at the main helm of the Nemesis, watching blandly out of the massive red tinted windshield when Starscream silently approached. Amazingly Megatron didn't notice to Seeker's arrival, having shut himself off from most of the comings and goings of the other mechs.

"Megatron?"

The silver mech stiffened, the metal paneling surrounding the Nemesis's controls starting to groan and buckle as his servo clenched. He said nothing in return, optics still fixed straight ahead out of the windshield. Perhaps if he ignored the wretched excuse for a Seeker he would leave him be...

"Megatron? Megatron, I think we need to talk." Starscream said, hesitantly padding closer, light on his pedes.

"I am sick of "talking" already." the warlord snapped, turning to go when he was caught between Starscream and the control paneling of the starship. "Step aside." he commanded, barring sharp dentas at the smaller mech. Starscream stood his ground, wings flared.

"I am not finished!" Starscream shot back, standing his ground with a boldness Megatron was not used to.

"I am sure your precious Vehicon misses you. You had best go find him." Megatron said, trying not to look the other mech in the optic. It honestly hurt too much.

"I said I am not finished!" Starscream roared, furious he was being ignored. "I came here to speak with you and I intend to do so."

"Then hurry up and do not waste any more of my time." Megatron hissed, leaning down so his blazing optics were at the level of Starscream's gaze.

Megatron made a surprised grunt when gentle arms wrapped around his neck and pulled him into a kiss. He tried to shake off the Seeker, but he was hardly interested in refusing the rare affection. Finally giving in, he hesitantly returned the kiss while pulling Starscream close with one arm.

"Perhaps "speaking" was the wrong term, Starscream." Megatron chuckled deeply when they pulled apart, his expression softened enough that he almost was a different mech. Starscream beamed up at him and was about to answer when Knockout came rushing into the control room.

"Starscream! Megatron!" he panted, his ruby optics wide with worry.

"Can't you see we're busy? What is it?" Starscream snapped as Megatron pulled away from the Seeker in a vain attempt to show nothing between them had changed. Knockout looked pained for a moment before he said what had happened.

"Steve's been hurt...badly."

***

Starscream threw Arcee and Bumblebee aside as he pushed through the crowd to see his partner, who had become quite a favorite among Autobots and Decepticons alike, laying still on the ground with energon puddled around him. Optics wide with horror, the Seeker almost drove his claws through Ratchet as the medic desperately tried to patch bleeding energon lines.

"What happened?!" Starscream demanded, kneeling down and gently holding Steve's servo in his own. The Vehicon made a whirring sigh and squeezed weakly to say he was still there, that he wasn't dead yet.

"Airachnid..." Steve managed, struggling to get enough energy to speak. "She...tried to hurt...you. To hurt...everyone."

"Steve, what were you thinking? You know you alone could not best her!" Starscream said, shaking the Vehicon a little. "Why did you fight her?"

"If I didn't try...I wouldn't be a...good...partner..." Steve sighed, reaching up with his arms and wrapping them as tightly as he could around Starscream as he started to fade away.

"Steve, stay with me!" Starscream begged, clutching the mech close to his chest.

"I'm scared..." Steve whimpered, barely more than a whisper. Starscream's wings drooped, knowing that Steve was dying and would surely be gone soon.

"You have nothing to fear, Steve, nothing at all." he assured, hugging Steve close as he pressed their forehelms together. "You're going to be okay...you'll be okay..." Starscream sobbed, his whole frame shaking as he started to cry.

The Autobots that were there stepped back, optics clouded with sorrow. They had liked Steve once they had met him, the Vehicon hardly a Decepticon at all with his helpful and pleasant demeanor. It was upsetting to know he was going to be gone within moments.

Megatron stayed by Starscream's side, holding himself back as the Seeker had his last klicks with Steve. It was something he should not be a part of since his love had never really extended to the Vehicon. But he knew well that Starscream would need support afterwards, so he remained.

Starscream finally set the limp form of the Vehicon down, washer fluid still rolling down his handsome faceplate as he turned to see Megatron was there, the larger mech looking sorry for him. Wiping away the tears, Starscream made his way to Megatron and pressed close to his side. The former warlord subtly stroked Starscream's upper arm with his servo to offer some form of comfort.

"Would you make him look good before he's laid to rest? He always loved polish." Starscream said to Ratchet, the medic looking purely stunned when the Seeker asked such a thing of him.

"Of course. I will send word when he is ready." the red and white mech assured, his teal optics

Starscream nodded, optics overflowing with tears yet again. He tugged on Megatron's arm plating to say he wanted to leave. It was unheard of for a Decepticon to cry-most of all in front of Autobots. Megatron gave Smokescreen a snarl when the Autobot looked like he might say something and ushered Starscream back to the Nemesis. He gave Optimus a glance that said "leave us be" all over it before they slipped into the protection of their starship.

"Megatron..."

"Hush. Now is not a time for words." Megatron growled softly, nuzzling Starscream's cheek as they entered his massive room.

Starscream did nothing to protest as he was picked up and placed on the berth, a blanket draped around his back a moment after. Megatron gave him a small smile and sat down beside him, offering his shoulder to silently say it was there if Starscream needed. That was what one did when their partner was sad, wasn't it? The warlord wasn't sure, so he said nothing.

Starscream curled around his arm, hugging him close. He still had someone and he knew he wasn't alone. Despite their many fights, they had somehow bridged the gap between them just in time. Megatron made a quiet growl and nuzzled Starscream's cheek with his own, making sure the Seeker knew he was there and that he would try to make things a little easier.

"I miss him already..."

"I am not Steve, but I will do what I can to make you happy." Megatron murmured into Starscream's warm neck cabling before he pressed a small kiss to his cheek.

"I don't expect you to change." Starscream admitted, knowing well that a mech like Megatron had been bred to fight, to kill...he wasn't supposed to care about anything except for himself.

"There is always a possibility." Megatron offered, a small grin on his lips.

Starscream felt a smile spread across his face as well, leaning against the silver mech's chest. It felt better to know he wasn't alone. It still hurt that Steve was gone, but the Vehicon would be entirely taken care of when he reached Primus and the others.

"You should get some rest." Megatron advised, getting up from the berth to give the Seeker all the room he needed. "I will return shortly."

"Where are you going?" Starscream asked, raising an optic ridge. The gladiator grinned and waved a servo dismissively.

"Oh, I have some things that need to be taken care of."