Writing/Art Collab (Lamia AU)

This is like Edmund's Beauty and the Beast Au, but with a Lamia instead of Harpy. This Lamia doesn't have a name that is said in the fic, but I was thinking of the name Petros.

Words: 858

One Made From Stone 

You had caught him staring at you once more through the flames of the fire: scrutinisingly sour no matter how much you ignored it. To anyone else, the Lamia's hardened gaze could've made anyone shudder, his crepe-pink gaze watching you over.

But no matter how much you worked and could feel his gaze searing holes into your head, you knew that you were not so much as scared of him.

"Hold still." You murmured, raising his arm so you could inspect what was beneath: three long slashes that were prominent and still bleeding, some that littered his skin as he sat sulking on the floor beside you. It got rather annoying very quickly to keep reminding him to stop moving, with his powerful stone-grey tail thrashing with both agitation and discomfort.

Another gruff snort came from his flat nose as he gruffly tried to pull his body away from you, his large tail snapping back and forth angrily. "Hurry up." He snapped, his furrowed gaze trained on the fire dancing.

"It'll get infected if I don't clean it properly." Your voice wasn't as meek as when the first time you had run into him: the magnificence of the creature was too much the first time you had encountered him, and his deeming presence was too much for you. Now, you were just as stubborn as he had been.

"You shouldn't of escaped then." His long pale ash-blond hair was disbelieved from running his raked nails through his scalp continuously, his eyes gave him a feverish glow that it almost made you worry that what had been done had made him fall ill.

The wolves, then him falling into the frozen lake and you attempting to save him... it had all been too much.

Wet and worn out, the two of you didn't bother for words at first nor fear and intimidation, crawling to the fireplace to keep warm as you slowly peeled back a part of your dress to help with his wounds.

"You shouldn't have scared me then." You retorted bitterly back, wringing the cloth in your fingers from the warm water as you continued. "My father is lost in the woods, alone and cold, and I can't be with him." You peeled your head back to glare up at him out of anger, then defeat. "Isn't the worry a daughter has for her father more important than your pride?"

The Lamia's head snapped his gaze from the fire to glare accusingly back at you before his eyes averted away in fall. That inimical presence in him faltered instantly, as he slunk into the furs further, his body going slack.

You observed him quietly for a moment, stunned by his movements as he seemed almost reluctant to let you mend his wounds. For a moment, neither one of you spoke, as you noiselessly got back to working on helping him.

"I'm... I'm sorry."

You glanced back at him stunned, awkwardly taking in his presence through how he quietly spoke, his voice a mere whisper. "For what?" You spat.

He seemed almost hesitant to meet your gaze, gazing anywhere else but you, and you swore his pale skin burnt with a blush to his sharp cheekbones when you saw little through the fires of the dim room. He seemed huge compared to you, and many times before you realised he could eat you, but the terror had gnawed away at you and only left acceptance.

"I'm tired of fearing for everything, not being able to protect the ones I love. I only ask when he is all I have left."

The Lamia's entire demeanour changed and he seemed sheepish to confess something so close to him. "I... understand how you feel, and I want to do right for what I've done."

"Then let me leave. Why are you keeping me here?"

A short growl came from his pointed mouth, a snarl that didn't seem to sound threatening, almost frustrated with himself to find the right words. "It's difficult, not when you would understand. A human... and a Lamia. It would be shamed."

"Oh." You exhaled, your hand on him leaving as he looked shamed himself for telling you what was the truth. Did that mean... something else, all along? "I'm sorry, I-!"

"I understand." He wryly chortled to himself, "I'm not expecting you to drop everything for me, but maybe... we could start again?"

You paused, thinking everything through, and your entire opinion on him changed. He didn't seem like some stubborn Lamia who could've been seen as a monster to some, but more just a lonely being, trapped in a place with no way of escape of acceptance.

"I accept, only if you let me go after this all, and help me find my father." He peered at you with unknown emotions, and you felt self-conscious, averting your gaze. You didn't want to admit it, but he was rather comely.

"I accept, little bird." He soothed quietly, shutting his eyes grimly as you pressed the cloth back against his ribs, before the feeling of the cold mixed in with a blooming bond settled into the damp halls.