Demon Knight: Odel 2

A/N:

I wasn't expecting the number of likes from the previous part, and I want to thank everyone for the kind comments! I've been a bit low and didn't think it would get any likes, so it means the world! 

I honestly didn't know how else to write it, apart from the two of you discussing what to use as a ring.

-

Sir Odel was a mighty knight indeed: armed and readied for anything to protect you with.

He was one to keep you close and possible enemies away: lending travellers little or no sight of you, pretending the Whitehaven Hold was merely a sight of ruin. You opted for a life of seclusion, finding it rather quaint not having servants at your whim, and the title of runaway seemed to suit your needs.

Odel was a great companion when you needed one in the loneliness: learning more and more about him by the day. He told you of the previous lord he watched and protected, his family, the life he lived and how he came to the pact of defence.

Turns out, it had been a usual occurrence for a demon like himself to make a living out of service to another. He had been a lessor lord in the underworld, a knight bound by service and duty.

He was older than you imagined, older than the soil of the world, borne before all life was created.

"What you're offering to me," Odel began, watching as you knitted by the well-lit fire, occupied in thoughts and peaceful silence. "this marriage pact, do you have a ring?"

You snapped up to look at him. "I never thought of that," you thought carefully. "I guess I said it at the moment. Usually, a lord provides the ring—that's what my father told me."

"Your father is most correct," he said. "Thought there are other items that can be used to replace a ring."

"How so?"

"Well, some cultures use a sword, an axe or a great axe." He stated, polishing his sword. "It is for both to present a sword. It represents a ring to give to one another."

"That's rather interesting," you pondered. "Though I don't think I have the strength to offer you a sword."

"How about a dagger?"

You watched as the demon knight unsheathed a dagger from his hip, its hilt as black as obsidian, a ruby gem embedded in its hilt in all of its beauty. "I offer you this dagger as a symbol of our marriage." He stood, walking towards you, his armour creaking as he went.

Before you, he knelt once more, the dagger held up for you. Cautiously, awaiting, you did not grab for it just yet. "I will protect and swear arms to you. Protect you in sickness and in health. For as long as you may live, your life is mine to protect and love."

You blushed heavily, gingerly taking the dagger carefully in your hands, observing it in amazement. The blade was unlike anything you had seen crafted, the blacksmiths of your father's kingdom had never seen the likes of this material, nor did you believe it was of this world.

"Wait—how about this." you patted yourself down quickly, remembering you could have something to offer. The ring was given to you as a gift of your birth. It was small, but with some string, you found on you, you tied it around the ring, offering it closely to the knight to wear.

"I offer you this ring, as a symbol of our marriage." You began. "I will keep you close to my table, and provide the needs any husband requires."

"Requires?" He inquired.

"Needs—erm, like kin?" You hesitated, realising how incredulous you sounded.

Odel was silent for some time before a loud chuckle resonated from his armour, old and powerful. "You shan't expect that from me." He reassured. "I swear it."

You nodded, continuing. "I shall adore you, in sickness and in health. Now until the moment of my death."

Odel looked pleasured, reassured by your words, embracing the ring to his chest. He tied it around him, and the simple act was enough to make you feel a level of comfort.

Princess you had been, now, forever in peace.