32.

I found Mitch at the cliff where I often went to ponder and clear my mind. It took me several hours to find him and I nearly gave up hope. He was sitting in the grass, his legs through the fence, and dangling off the cliff as he stared out.

"Mitch," I said softly. The boy jumped in his place and whipped around, his hand going to his pocket and whipping out his pocket knife. I taught him well.

He lowered his stance when he saw me and started to stand up. I raised my hands. "No. I'll come to you. If that's okay." Mitch looked at me for a moment and nodded, turning back around and putting the knife back in his pocket. I shuffled over and sat on Mitch's left side, dangling my legs off the cliff and leaning against the fence.

"I'm not mad at you, Mitch. I'm glad you came to me. I'm only upset that you didn't come sooner."

"I wouldn't let myself. My pride was too big." I chuckled a little and looked over.

"That wasn't my girlfriend you know. She was my therapist. I missed my appointment so she came for a house visit." Mitch met my eyes and he nodded.

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

"No. I was hoping I still had a chance to get you back." I placed my hand on the ground and Mitch looked at it before looking back out at the dark horizon.

"Will you tell me what happened? All those months ago? Why were you acting like that?"

"Honestly, I don't know. My ego was just too hurt I guess. I wanted to escape it and run away like a coward instead of facing it head-on. When I came back from Portugal, I spent several days in a pigsty because I just felt so empty. When I finally got some energy in me, I tried to shoot myself. I wanted to make a new name for myself. I was going manic."

Mitch looked at me with a widened eye. "So, that's what happened with the scar on your face?" He raised a hesitant hand and rubbed my cheek.

I nodded. "I decided to finally get some help maybe a week after you rejected me. I didn't want to do something I would regret. Well, I wouldn't really be able to regret it." Mitch's head fell on my shoulder and I tensed up.

"I'm glad you didn't. You're acting like yourself again. Your big stupid self." He said softly and sat up, lowering his head and his shoulders started to shake. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you. I'm sorry I turned you away."

"I don't blame you, Mitch," I said and brought my arm around Mitch's shoulders and pulled him to me. "I wasn't in the right mindset. I was trying to force you into something you weren't ready for. It was completely my fault. I'm the one who should apologize." Mitch pulled his legs in and he threw himself onto me, his arms wrapping around my head as he cried out. I put my arms around Mitch's torso and rested my head on his shoulder. "We both have something to apologize for. I forgive you. Will you forgive me?"

He only sobbed as a response and I chuckled and shut my eyes as I embraced him. "I'll take that as a yes." I finally had him back.

-

I watched as Mitch exited the bathroom with a towel over his head. He wore a pair of my boxers that hung loosely around his waist. His eyes were focused on the floor as he walked towards me. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and stood up to face him. I raised my hands, wanting to grab Mitch then kiss him. It took a lot of fight in me to stay still and my hands dropped. 

"Are you sure it's okay for me to stay here? I don't want to be a burden." My heart leaped at his voice but I also frowned at the sudden question. I raised my hands again, going to rub Mitch's arm. It was almost too subtle but I could see the slight flinch through his body. I dropped my hands once again and sighed.