CHAPTER ONE Olive's perspective

The ocean waves splashed onto my feet the sun slowly setting into the endless sea. My best friend Carter lay on her beach towel also watching the sunset, school had ended two weeks ago thank gosh grade ten was over.

"Hey Olive!" Shouted Carter from her spot on the sand "look at the pod of dolphins" sure enough there on the horizon leaping from the mirrored water was a pod of dolphins.

"what kind?" I called back to Carter. She rummaged through her bag finding a pair of binoculars.

"I'm pretty sure they're common dolphins" I jogged over snatching the binoculars from her hands placing them on my own face to see the dolphins.

"Defiantly common dolphins" I said smiling back at Carter.

Carter and I have been the best of friends ever since fourth grade when we were paired up to do a history assignment and from then on we just connected and had everything in common.

"Well I should probably get going my Dad has invited a couple family friends over for a campfire and barbecue tonight, but if you want I'll give him a call and ask if you can come" Carter said trying to hide her excitement at the thought of having me over again.

"Sure I would love to!" I replied back excited. Carter grabbed her phone out of her bag and called her Dad and asked if I could come over.

"You are aloud to come" said Carter as she shook the sand from her towel and folded it up and stuck it in her beach bag. As well I gathered up my own stuff handing Carter back her sunscreen I had borrowed.

"I just need to run home and grab my things" I mumbled slipping on my Sanuk sandals.

"I'll come with you just in case you get lost or something" Carter laughed and we walked to my house.

When we arrived Carter and I ran up the stairs to my bedroom and I packed a bag while we listened to music on my stereo. I said goodbye to my parents and we biked to Carter's house, Carter sitting on the handle bars of my bike giggling every time we almost tipped the bike. We biked past the park stopping to wave at Darlene the elderly women that works at the local grocery store everybody knew and liked her, she waved back her dog Marlo barking and waging his tail as we passed on by. We stopped at the end of Carter's drive way parking my bike against the house wall, we walked through the open gate into the backyard.

"Hey Olive!" Carter's dad called across the yard waving at me in a pleasant and happy smile, Ken Greenwood has always been a very kind man, as well as his wife Lynn Greenwood. I could see that the company had already arrived sitting in lawn chairs on the deck Mr. Greenwood flipping burgers on the barbecue. After dinner we had a campfire and Carter and I roasted some marshmallows and had a couple s'mores. Around one thirty in the morning until we finally went to bed.