Chapter XXXIV

Adira

The darkness of dawn caressed Adira's tired body as she stood on the castle grounds. The grass swayed in the slight breeze. An insect buzzed near her ear and she swatted at it absentmindedly. Her fingers fidgeted with the hem of her shirt as she waited for Kaifa to appear.

"Good morning," Kaifa announced from behind her. "Good to see you're on time."

Adira smiled, a little wary.

Kaifa rolled her eyes, "I can be nice too. I'm not a class-A bitch all the time. That would be exhausting."

Recognizing the olive branch for what it was, Adira grinned fully, tipping her head in reply.

"Alright," Kaifa continued, "first I'd like you to learn some history in regards to what is really going on with you. How much do you know?"

Adira scratched her head. "Well...the Luna is chosen by the moon and hence is given certain powers?"

Kaifa groaned, smacking her forehead. "What have my brother and mate been doing?! Child, every wolf is chosen by the moon. We are her children, she forms our destinies, from who we love to when we beget children. That is not the source of your power."

"Oh," Adira replied. She groaned inwardly, OH?! Could she sound any more idiotic?

Kaifa half-smiled, continuing, "As you are aware, fated mates are chosen by the moon. Human mates are rare, but not impossible. That puts them on an unequal footing with their werewolf mates, and for that reason, human mates also develop wolfish tendencies like mind linking as the bond strengthens. You may already have accidentally used supernatural speed or mind linking. It will better as the years pass by. There's no way to teach any of that as it is fully dependent on your mating bond."

"That, however, is not all. You must understand, child, the moon is not like your human gods. Most other gods play a role of a passive entity, leaving their creatures alone. However, the moon is involved in us, she thrums through our veins. Therefore, sometimes, for reasons which are her own, she grants supernatural powers to wolves or others who are not Lycans. When Lyracus broke the moon's altar, he broke her connection to us. Which is why the Lycans were affected the most, we carry more of her in us, the most of any of her children. But, mortals were also affected. They weakened as the years passed, their immortality vanishing. Their fates were changed. The moon no longer made any destiny and as the years passed by, the wolves stopped asking their humans to wait for fated mates and allowed choice mates."

Adira admired the light glinting off her face as Kaifa continued.

"As word of your mating, and that of my brother's, will spread, hope will begin anew. That is why you are so important to Lyracus. Additionally, you are human Adira. In choosing you, the moon has demonstrated that she has more power on earth than Lyracus imagined. She has power to thrum through the veins of a species that is not traditionally hers. Which means that much of her earthly energy resides in you. A combination of her will and her manifestation has granted you powers that you seek to hone by learning from me. Killing you serves a dual purpose for Lyracus. First, it removes hope for wolves and contains the problem. Second, it destroys the moon's energy on earth. Without your body to nourish the energy, the moon cannot grow stronger and cannot spread farther. Already the nourishment you have provided has allowed the moon to attach herself to my brother and Cassandra. Though, since he was a Lycan, and always carried her in him, their mating is not that difficult for her to bring about. Her power still resides primarily in you. That is why you must ensure that you survive, Adira. No matter what. You are capable of being the savior or the fatal blow."