Chapter XVII

Adrian

Adrian smiled quietly as he registered the warm body he was holding. Adira was pressed up next to him, her tiny body meeting his at every opportunity. Waking up next to her was his favorite thing. Sunlight filtered through the billowing curtains, highlighting her tan skin. Her chest moved with her quiet breaths. The wind ruffled her hair quietly as if to give her the morning's greetings. Adrian took another long moment to study her, taken aback by her beauty as always. There really was no one like Adira. Her beauty was ethereal, surpassing even that of the Lycans. Adira was also beautiful on the inside. She was like nobody he had ever known. The kindest person he had ever known. 

Adira put a hand on his face, pushing him away to his side of the bed. "I can feel you staring. Its sleeping time," she mumbled with her eyes still closed, her lips twitching. 

Adrian laughed, his eyes meeting her ownhonest gaze. He knew the exact moment her worry for Cassie set in, as her stormy blue eyes lost some of their light. Adrian wondered the last time she wasn't worried about something. He was being a terrible mate. 

"Let's go somewhere," he almost shouted, startling Adira who jumped. "Sorry," he replied sheepishly in his normal tone. "Let's spend the day together."

Adira laughed. " You don't have work?"

"None which can't be postponed."

"Okay." She smiled quietly. "Where are we going?"

Adrian grinned mysteriously, a place coming to mind. He rolled out of bed, pulling Adira with him, pushing her to hurry. He set her on her feet, quickly kissing her head before going to brush his teeth.

Thereafter, they worked in quiet companionship, making and packing breakfast and lunch for their picnic. Adira's shorts distracted Adrian every five minutes, increasingly delaying their picnic. Adira laughed as she chastised his wondering hands. It would do them good to get out of the house. 

The hike was a short one but beautiful through their woods. Adrian basked in the magnificence of nature, the tall trees providing his wolf with a sense of security. His wolf lay content in his chest, focussed on the presence of his mate. He was complete.

----

Adira

Adrian tugged another hair out of her clip for the nth time. Adira rolled her eyes, swatting him playfully. Adrian grinned. His laughter warmed Adira's chest, like a blanket on a snowy day. Her hand found his, and their marks tingled together. Electricity ran down her arms as giddiness encased her mind. It was good to get away and leave everything behind. She needed it.

"Is that it?" Adira spoke, spotting the beginnings of a clearing up head. She hastened her pace in her excitement, leaving her mate behind. Adrian followed casually, soaking up her reaction.

She stepped into the light, the clearing leaving her spellbound. A waterfall originating above from the rocky terrain, fell on to the pool below. The water was blue, its vibrant colours reminding Adira of her paint. The pool rippled quietly in small waves. The field surrounding the lake was rather small, covering less area than the field of their packhouse. The grass blew quietly in the wind, dandelions flying. Some large rocks gathered near the lake forming the perfect viewing spot. This place was a safe haven. 

Adira felt arms encircle her waist as Adrian nipped her ear. She smiled, leaning into her mate. "This is beautiful. How did you discover it?"

Adrian laughed a little bitterly, setting the picnic box in the shade. "It belongs to me, love."