Chapter XIII

Adrian

Adrian couldn't sleep. It had been a week since the first pack breakfast, and a month from the brutal rogue attacks and all had been quiet. Too quiet, if you asked him. Sighing, he turned in his bed hoping for sleep to come. For the millionth time this night, Adrian looked at the clock. 3 am. Outside he could hear crickets chirping loudly through the open window. The moon shone into his room as the curtains fluttered in the wind. 

The atmosphere triggered a quiet memory. Many years ago, Adrian had habitually woken up at this time to begin Alpha training with his father. He remembered how it felt to be used to very little sleep and endless tedious work. Though Adrian's father was a loving man, he was not a loving Alpha. He took his duty to train Adrian very seriously. When Adrian came of age, Mr. Carter had often changed from his happy father to a disparaging and strict Alpha. As the years passed, Adrian glimpsed his childhood happiness with his father becoming lesser. He was completely consumed in training. Often, Adrian wondered if his father's vocal disappointment was the reason the pack had taken such a long time to accept him as Alpha. While Amor had been given gifts and hugs, Adrian had received task after task with no respite. His father worked him to the bone for no reward. Even when he had stepped down as Alpha, he had done so on an ultimatum from his wife and not because he believed Adrian was truly ready. For some months after his retirement, it had been impossible for Adrian to work as an Alpha because of the dominating presence of his father who wanted to dictate every move. Only now, when his parents had left for the world tour, had Adrian managed to come on his own. As the distance between his father and him had increased, Adrian had also found it easier to revive the easy relationship they had shared in his childhood. Although his father's training had proved invaluable, Adrian promised himself that his children would never undergo that rigorous routine. Despite the training they required, Adrian's children would never have to wonder if he loved them. 

Groaning, Adrian covered his face with a pillow and turned to the side. In desperation, he attempted to sleep by counting sheep. This is was his tenth time. Giving up, he switched on the light chugging water from the glass beside his bed. Opening the curtains, Adrian grabbed his laptop before being interrupted by a quiet knock. 

Adira poked her head through the door. "Are you awake? I can't sleep. Oh, you're working. Can I grab a manuscript and work next to you?" 

After Adrian nodded, she returned to the room with a thick bundle of papers, a red pen, and some sticky notes. Soon, they were both consumed in their work. 

Adrian broke the companionable silence. "What time do you have fighting practice?"

"In half an hour or so. Cassie is killing me. Although the knives she brought me are gorgeous. Oh my god, you have too see them. She has them with her right now, though. Wait, I've got a picture!" Scrolling furiously through her phone, Adira located the picture excitedly shoving it in Adrian's face, almost punching his nose. 

Adrian grinned at her excitement. "They're wonderful! This is a very Cassie gift, haha. That girl can't get her head out of fighting. These knives will serve you well. See, how tall the actual sword is compared to the hilt? They're going to be really good for hand-to-hand combat with wolves because of the amount of lunging that occurs. Its a good grip with maximum distance for wounding. For battle, I think you can lace the blade with wolfsbane. It would be lethal. I hope it never comes to that though. I'm guessing she brought these when she was paint shopping. Nice. When -" 

Adira interrupted him. "What paint?"

Adrian looked with confusion at her blank face. "Didn't Cassie tell you? We have a room on the second floor which is completely empty. We were going to renovate it into something. But I spoke to Eden, since we didn't quite have anything concrete planned, we'll leave it empty for you. You can paint your art in there. I sent Cassie to buy you all the stuff from town. I'm hoping she got it. Its supposed to have been up there for about two days now. It's yours."