XX

Adira

It had been days since Adira's breaths had come easy. But now, Cassie was back and Adira's chest had eased. Things would take some time to be normal. Eden was furious with Cassie. Amor had been inconsolable after the fight, and then once Cassie had left, she had been downright terrified. And though, she was okay now, Eden had not forgotten her terror or his own. Adrian was wary of Cassie in a way she had never seen him before. Almost as if Cassie was a flight-risk, instinctively moving towards her if she walked even close to the front door. If Adira had to guess, the only people in this room that Cassie could easily make peace with, were herself and Seb. Cassie's mate himself was guarded. 

Nevertheless, Adira still smiled. It would pass, because at least now, Cassie was home. They were going to get to the bottom of this Lycan business, they were going to save the werewolf world, and then they were going to live happily ever after like goddamn unicorns, Adira decided. 

"There are six primordial Lycans," Drystan's voice broke Adira out of her reverie and she realized the pancakes were plated and looking amazing, "there are six primordial Lycans. We're the first six children of the mood and as such we derive our supernatural abilities from her. You know most of us, I guess. Kaifa can move things with her mind. Amri-" Adira saw Amricus half-heartedly glare at that nickname, "- teleports. I can move all four elements, that is, water, fire, earth, and -" a gentle breeze flew in ruffling everybody's hair in a quiet summerly greeting "- air. 

His piercing gaze focussed on Adira as he continued, "Sana, as you now know, can heal almost anything. Lyracus is an information seeker. He can talk to almost anything in the strangest fashion. He can eavesdrop on all conversations using the earth as his listening device. Any natural medium, really. The power reduces as the distance increases, but if I were to take a guess, he could stand at the edge of your pack, all the way near the rock creek, and listen to any conversation he wished to in the entire pack." Eden, Adrian, and Cassie all shifted uncomfortably in sync but didn't say anything. 

"The last of us, is also our youngest, Belvedere. She was the most doted on of the primary six, even by Lyracus. Post the fight, she was furious at our stupidity, and -" Drystan trailed off sadly. 

"We haven't seen her since. We've looked, but we do not know what has become of her." Amricus spoke grimly, squeezing Drystan's hand. "You remind me of her so much, my little Luna. Loyal to the bone and kind to the core." Adira blushed, and Adrian's thumb brushed her cheekbone, eliciting a shower of sparks.

"Anyway," Drystan continued, "before we move on, I must explain the basics of mating. Though the moon chooses fated mates, the species she chooses from are beyond her discretion. The first werewolf children were born from wolves, and they mated to wolves. As humans evolved and we spent more time in our human form, human mates began to appear. It is the way of the world to ensure that there is no incompatibility between the species."

"When, human mates first began to appear, we were ecstatic and terrified. Humans were weak and arrogant. They fought wars and battles in their arrogance. However, mates are mates, and soon the knowledge of our existence spread like wildfire. And that is how we found Freya." Adira looked at Cassie as she stiffened upon hearing the name. At the same time, Amricus let out a deep breath. 

"Freya was a human baby Belv found in the woods. She was determined to take care of her. Belv had no mate and she was lonely. That was the time when Amricus, Sana, Lyracus, and I were traveling across the world to see global treasures. We swam in the pacific ocean and climbed the pyramids. For immortals time is slow, so by the time we heard the news from Kaifa, Freya had grown into a woman. Sana and I visited Belv then, curious to see her child. And as fate would have it, in a few days of meeting her, both Sana and I fell madly in love with Freya. She was kind and beautiful, so much so that even Kaifa adored her."