Chapter XVIII

Cassie

Cassie limped slowly, walking behind Ethan and scowling at his back. This situation had become a hot mess. She really needed to think plans through next time. They walked out of the dungeon, and Cassie winced at the foreign light in the open field. Nonetheless, she followed Ethan's quick pace as they made their way to a large tent. 

The tent was large and luxiourious, both opulent and minimalist. Two werewolves stood guard at the entrance. Inside, Lyracus lounged casually in tux on a beautiful ornate chair. His lycan beauty was impossible to miss, dressed to a point in a black tuxedo. His eyes swept across Cassie's form, and he grinned at her, almost as if they were old friends and he hadn't ordered to have her beaten unconscious multiple times. Cassie's wolf snarled in her chest, but outwardly Cassie remained impassive, appearing reverent as she looked around the tent. 

Behind her, Ethan pushed at her pounding head. "Kneel."

Cassie's wolf growled louder at the insult. Subordination went against her instincts, especially once her wolf recognised a royal as her mate. Her wolf clawed at her chest, but Cassue kneeled, her eyes meeting the ground in quiet submission.

Lyracus smiled, gesturing towards the room. "You may get up, child. Welcome, to the new world."

Cassie smiled timidly. "Thank you, my lord." Behind her Ethan snickered at her submissive gesture.

Lyracus's eyes sharpened as they darkened at her words. How he knew they were false, Cassie didn't know. "I see you aren't fully convinced about the new world." He said testily. Cassie shifted on her feet, wondering if she should drop into attack crouch.

Lyracus got up, shifting to table, gesturing to the chairs opposite to her. Both Ethan and Cassie sat down at once. "Why is that, Cassandra? Why are you here if you're not a part of us? I know how your true loyalty looks, huntress. I've seen it in your pack."

Realising that they knew far more about her then Cassie had expected, Cassie realised she would now need to mix fiction with reality. Thinking on her feet, she lied through her teeth. "I do believe that humans make for terrible mates. Adrian would have been mine if not for that skank." 

On the table, Ethan's visible hand closed into a fist, but both Lyracus and Cassie ignored him. "But the thing is..."

Lyracus's face lightened, and turned encouraging. Suddenly he appeared almost paternal.

Cassie continued, "I don't mean any offence, but sir, I don't understand the vendetta against the Circle. I mean, I still support the cause, but I just want to learn."

Lyracus nodded, his eyes unreadable, yet his face was unordinarily delightful. "Your previous Alpha couple are part of the Circle. They were the only parents you knew, and hence, your wolf finds it hard to go against its sire."

Inwardly, a cold fist closed around Cassie's heart as she realised that they knew the identity of two members of the Circle. Adrian's parents were in grave danger.

Loosely drawing a circle on the table, Lyracus continued. "Do you know the truth of the world you are in, child?" 

Pausing for dramatic effect, he held her green gaze, correctly reading her naivety. "Ahhh, I see. It is my responsibility to inform you. Your friend, Amor, has left you in the dark. Your entire wolf pack enjoys doing that, don't they? Haven't you wondered why they band together often?" Cassie emitted a muted noise of pain at the mention of her pack. Ethan grinned sadistically.

Lyracus started, "Before 1708, the moon showed as bright as the sun. The mortal memory is feeble, by immortal memory is long. Humans were unaware of our existence. Fated mates were the moon's blessings. Wolves lived in the wild, free to roam in the duality of our existence. Three years after the start of the 18th Century, humans discovered our existence. Though they were afraid, many began to intermingle with us. We welcomed them into our lives. Bonds were formed, strong as blood." Lyracus paused, taking a sip from his blood-red wine glass.

FatedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara