Chapter XIII

Adira

Adira woke up to a loud bang. Startled, she jumped backward, her back hitting the headboard. She looked around disoriented, jolting fully awake when she didn't recognize the room. Then suddenly, last night came to her in a flash, making her grin stupidly. 

Her eyes roved the room searching for the source of her rude awakening, landing on a horrified Cassie who was standing by the door, her hand over her eyes. Looking down, Adira realized her breasts were no longer covered by the blanket. Flushing red, she pulled the comforter up, turning to Adrian who was still somehow asleep. She pushed him lightly.

He spoke, his eyes still closed, "You can open your eyes Cass, we're properly covered."

Timidly, an emotion Adira would never have thought to associate with her, Cassie opened one eye to verify. Reassured she opened both, still blushing furiously. 

She spoke, her voice several pitches higher, "Do you guys know the concept of locking doors?"

Adrian pulled Adira towards him under the covers, smug. "Why don't you knock?"

Cassie, who had now managed to stop blushing, stated, "I did knock, you idiots! Also your lights are on, how would anyone think you were asleep? I need to clean my mind with bleach!"

"Shut up." Adira mumbled, still red. 

Cassie snickered at Adira. She walked to the bed, plopping down next to Adrian. She gave him a  high-five. "You're a big boy now, Ade!"

Adrian returned her smirk. "Someone has made a biiiiig man out of me. Sorry about the lights, by the way, it has been a long night."

Adira turned redder. 

Cassie grinned, her easy charm returning. "I can see its been pretty hard for you. Were the results satisfactory?"

Adira turned redder, matching the color of Cassie's hair. She hit both of them half-heartedly with a pillow. Both of them guffawed as she pulled a sheet to cover herself and walked out of the room. "Wipe the grin out of your face, mate, unless you want your next night to be a date with your hand."

Cassie laughed until she cried as the smirk instantly fell off Adrian's face.

----

 The sun was warm as Cassie and Adira reached the training field. It was empty except for the training equipment. Adira strapped on her holsters as Cassie walked out of the small storage hut, dragging a large bag. She opened it to show Adira an assortment of knives. Turning Adira to face the targets at the end of the field, she picked up the larger knife. 

"The biggest mistake that many beginners make is that they assume a larger knife means a better knife. But honestly, one that allows you more agility and balances properly in your hand is the best fit for you. For example, see how I throw this one -" She threw the knife at the target, hitting it a couple of inches away from bullseye. "And now see how I throw this one."

Adira watched Cassie pick up a smaller knife and raise her hand to throw it at the target. The very last second, Cassie turned around, throwing the knife at a tree in the forest behind them. The knife punctured the bark, jutting perfectly out of the wood. Adira turned, confused, but yelped as Drystan walked out from behind the tree. He clapped slowly, how eyes raking over Cassie's form.

"Very good, mate. Your form could use some help but your aim is good." He smirked cockily.

Cassie straightened up, "Excuse me?"

"You heard me."

Adira felt Cassie's competitive streak ignite. "Alright, let's see you hit it."