Chapter VII

Adira woke up to two knocks on her door. Sluggish and tired, she slowly opened the door to Adrian's smirk, blushing when she remembered her tiny nightwear. Adrian's dark eyes skimmed her figure from head to toe, finally lazily resting on her face. For a moment, his eyes smiled at hers in their own secret code.

"What's up?" She leaned on the door attempting to look casual and not at all bothered by how hot he looked in his muscle tee.

"Good morning. Sorry, I won't be able to make breakfast today, I have to rush." He smiled as Adira waved away his apology. "Cassie's still asleep. I haven't woken her up, but Dr. Mathews mentioned that he may come for a check-up in the day."

Last night, they had returned to the hospital and stayed until all of the wolfbane had been finally pumped out of Cassie's system. Dr. Mathews had allowed her to leave on the understanding that she would not be alone. So she was staying in a guest room in the lodge with Adira who was strangely pleased that Cassie chose her over other pack members. She marveled at the warm feeling of acceptance that came with their easy friendship.

He continued with shining eyes. "Would you like to have dinner with some of us tonight? You haven't properly met Eden and Seb yet. They're excited to meet you." Adira's reluctance melted at his quiet excitement and she nodded an affirmative. With a quick good-bye and a kiss on her head, Adrian left for the day.

Pulling her hair into a bun and plugging her earphones into her phone, Adira walked on the wood-paneled floor and down the carpeted staircase into the kitchen wondering what Cassie would like for breakfast. She decided on making some toast and eggs, resolving to get some cheesecake later in the day. The pan sizzled as Adira basked in the sunlight. From her position on the counter, she could see the forest that surrounded the lodge. It was a quiet haven. At a distance, Adira made out chirpy bird songs. Plating the eggs, she finished breakfast with some fruit and coffee. It suddenly occurred to her that her guards may require food too, she wasn't aware if Adrian shared the food he made, but she couldn't find them at either of the doors. Shrugging, she grabbed two plates and her phone and made way for Cassie's room. She wasn't a huge fan of those wolves anyway.

Adira knocked on the door, opening it on Cassie's invitation. The room was lit with poor light which the curtains on the right-hand side window could not stop. On either side of the bed, two shelves containing books were placed. A television hung from the wall adjoining the door. Cassie's tired smile pinged Adira's heart. There was something so wrong about watching a strong person be weak. Shaking herself out of it, she served them both some breakfast.

"So, what do you feel like doing today?"

Cassie smiled in appreciation as she ate her toast. "A movie marathon? I haven't watched any of the Marvel movies out this year. Are you a fan? And if you are, you better be Team Ironman or this friendship is out of the question."

Outraged, Adira replied, "How dare you do Chris Evans like that? Its Cap all the way, hun. Don't you even dare." She threw a pillow on Cassie's uninjured leg.

Kicking the pillow away from her and on to Adira, Cassie answered with vehement monologues about Tony Stark's character, which Adira scoffed at. They argued until Cassie was spent and their food was cold. Finally settling on a Disney movie, they prepared to watch Tangled. The speakers in the room were loud, proving an almost immersive experience in the dark. In the midst of swooning at Flynn Rider, Cassie who was groping the bed in an effort to find her plate accidentally dropped her beans on Adira's lap. At Adira's shock, Cassie descended into fits of laughter mumbling her apologies between her wheezing. Adira broke into a grin looking at her friend.

"What the hell Cassandra! I'm so coming for you once you get better, you hoe. Just you wait." Unable to find a rag, Adira continued to laughingly threaten Cassie even as she walked down to the kitchen. At the foot of the staircase, Adira could hear the movie loudly playing at a distance.