Chapter IX

Adira was sick of waking up in new places. As her blurry eyes cleared, she slowly recognized the hospital grey. Then all at once, she registered the sounds of beeping machines and the muffled hub-bub of people. Her thigh screamed in protest as she shifted slightly attempting to properly see her surroundings. The room was luxurious and large, with sunlight floating from the wispy curtains. Through the window, Adira could hear the rustle of leaves and the chirping of birds. A television hung on the wall. Below it lay an assortment of flowers, bright and colorful. Her eyes roamed taking it in, finally resting on Adrian and Cassie who were asleep on the couch on the other side of the room. Beside them, sitting on the floor, Adira made out Sebastian snoring away.

"Gu-" Adira coughed.

All three of them shot up ramrod straight in sync. It would have been really funny if Adira's throat wasn't on fire. She hacked another cough. As if spurred into action, Sebastian ran out of the room to fetch someone. Adrian fumbled hastily with the bottle cap as Cassie came to stand by her side, her grey eyes glistening at Adira without unreadable emotions. Gently, Adrian held the bottle to her lips and helped her drink. She gave him a feeble smile of thanks as he stared into her eyes caressing her hair gently. The more Adira returned the stare, the more she was lost in what seemed to be an onyx pool of despair and gratitude. The shuffling of Cassie's feet distracted Adira. Turning around, she opened her mouth but was interrupted by Dr. Mathews who accompanied Sebastian back into the room. 

"How are you feeling, child? Your vitals have been looking good for a day now. We thought you might wake up soon. Can you open your eyes for me, please?" Adira winced at the torch's sudden bright light in her eyes but did not complain. She waited patiently for Dr. Mathew to finish his examination. It was comprehensive, as the good doctor inspected Adira from head to toe. Finally, after tapping her knees to check her reflexes he stepped away satisfied. Adira stared at him expectantly waiting for a report on her condition. Unsure of how much to say to her, Dr. Mathews turned to Adrian.

"There was an attack on the pack about three days ago. They made it to the lodge, where you and Cassie fought them off. Do you remember that? You were severely injured." Adrian's eyes darkened as Adira shuddered at the reminder. He resumed running his fingers through her hair. Adira relaxed at his gentle touch.

Dr. Mathews chimed in as he realized that Adira was being told the whole truth. "You had serious bite marks on your thighs and arms, as well as less severe injuries due to their claws. You also had superficial wounds and bruising. You lost a lot of blood and were non-responsive, and I almost feared you were comatose. But luckily, you made it through. You have an incredibly resilient body for a human, it is an absolute marvel. Werewolf medicines also improved your system, so you were better far earlier than we expected. Though, I've never seen such an effect on any human before. A medical marvel, truly. Obviously, Cassie healed much faster than you did, since she already had the antidote to wolfsbane in her body. She recovered easily from the additional amount inserted in this attack. I am so grateful that you have healed well. I lost ten years of my life when I opened the door of the lodge. Please never shock me like that ever again. I absolutely forbid it." 

Adira laughed feebly in response smiling at Dr. Mathews. Hearing his beeper ping in the quiet room, Dr. Mathews left them with a hurried goodbye. Four pairs of eyes following him out of the door. Then, Adira fidgeted uncomfortably as all three occupants of the room turned their attention to her. She fixed her eyes firmly on the TV avoiding their faces. 

"Thank you." Cassie broke the silence. "Thank you for not leaving me to die. Although as a protector of my Luna, it was an insanely stupid decision."

Adira shrugged. "I wasn't going to just leave you."

Cassie smiled quietly. "You should have." Sebastian made a noise of protest but Cassie waved her hand at him. Glancing at Adrian, she motioned for Sebastian to come with her. "We'll be in the canteen if you need us." 

Static built in the air as soon as the door closed. For a long moment, Adrian stared deeply at Adira as he held her hand. She got lost in his dark abyss, as a golden hue began to fill the room. 

"I was terrified." Adira startled as Adrian spoke in the quiet room. "When I saw you, I was terrified. I was so scared, Adira." He confessed as she cupped his cheek. "I am so sorry. I got you here and I couldn't even protect you. In the middle of the pack - in the goddamn packhouse - of all things. Fuck. We're the strongest pack and we can't even protect the Luna. What use is - I'm so sorry. I am incredibly sorry. I am so fucking sorry." He leaned into her hand, covering it with his own and holding it in place. Like always, sparks ran down her arms. Like always, she relished in them.

She gave him a small smile. "I'm not going to lie, it sucks. A lot. And I was terrified too. But I'm okay now. And that's what matters. Besides, our week is over now. In a couple of days, I'll be out of here. Somewhere far away. And then, things can go back to the way they were. For both of us. Less drama, more calm-a," she chuckled alone at her joke.

Adrian stared at her before taking in a breath. He swallowed. "Things can't go back to the way they were Adira. Nothing is the same. I'm not the same. I...I don't want to stop this, stop us." Adrian stopped and brushed a lock of her hair back. "I will take you wherever you want to go. We can go together. We don't have to stay here. But I... I want you Adira. I want all of you."

For a long moment, Adira just stared at him shell-shocked. "Ade. Its - this is the bond. It's not you. Don't commit to something like this - please. Let me go. Don't do this - to me. I can't..."

Adrian's face crumbled. Then, it hardened. "Okay. Okay. Okay. You're wrong about the bond - but okay. Let me come with you. Let's do slow okay? We can review it on a monthly basis. Besides, at least for a couple of months, it'd be better to have someone to protect you, right? Just in case? It'll help you adjust. Just let me come, Adira. Please. Just stop fighting this one. Wherever you want. Please. Give us another month to explore this, explore us. We can be much more or we can stay the same. The ball will always be in your court. Bond or not, I want you. I won't fight that. I'm done with the fighting." 

Adira looked away into the sunlight, away from Adrian's pleading face. She wanted him far more than she let on, but it could mean another massacre for her heart. What if it was another mistake?  Charlie had been bad, but Adrian - with his smoldering eyes and stupid kindness - would destroy her. She would never be able to recover. 

Powerless, her eyes found their way back to his face, roaming his handsome features. It would be her most favorite mistake. What would grandma do?

"Okay." She allowed. "Only if you carry all the heavy stuff."

Adrian leaned in so quickly that she thought he was going to kiss her. Her eyes closed expectantly and quietly. Almost instinctively, her body excepted his affection in a way her brain hadn't been able to. Her breath hitched. But at the last moment, he aimed for the very corner of her lip, giving her a gentle peck. His eyes shined with mirth as the heartbeat monitor went wild. BEEP BEEP BEEP. Adira's scowled in response looking away with a small smile. She pictured a small cabin on the beach with Adrian. Or maybe the mountains. As if in response to her thoughts, Adrian gave her a bittersweet smile running his hands through her hair.

He stepped away as Cassie and Sebastian entered the room, laughing at an inside joke. Adira smiled, committing each moment to memory. At the same time, her mind wandered imagining sunbathing on a beach with a shirtless Adrian. What a wonderful mistake to make.