Chapter XXXIII

Adira

Adira groaned as her feet hit the ground. She turned her head just in time to catch Amricus's smile as he twisted into black. As her dizziness dissipated, she realised she had absolutely no idea where she was. Though the decor was similar to the parts of the castle she had already encountered, this wing of the castle was strange. She attempted a few deep breaths trying not to worry. Towards her right was a door that called to her and she opened it inching cautiously. 

The door suddenly burst wide open, the force of which pulled Adira into the room. She grunted as her knees hit the ground. 

"Haven't you annoyed me enough to last your lifetime, mortal?" Kaifa stated from the other side of the large room, her voice flat as she looked outside the huge, arched window. 

Adira gaped, taken aback by Kaifa's rudeness and her beauty. 

Kaifa rolled her eyes, annoyed. "I thought mortals were smarter than this. Perhaps I was wrong. I don't really care either way. Call my mate, be on your way. Goodbye." She turned back to the window, dismissing Adira. 

"Right...about that..." Adira floundered. "Heisn'treallycomingbackuntilaweeklater sorry." She mumbled hastily looking decidedly at Kaifa's ear. "So, I guess we're stuck together for a lil while..."

A muted roar burst out of the Lycan. "So you have come here to die, then?"

"um...not really..."

"I can think of no other reason a mortal would show up at the castle unannounced and uninvited, armed with a single knife which is not even made of rosa aurum. Either you are suicidal or the people who sent you here want you dead," she paused then gave Adira a once-over. "Can't say I really blame them." 

Adira fought hard to not be intimidated. Gathering her courage, she decided to try again. "Look, Kaif-your majesty, I'm not here to die. I'm not sure how much -uh- news you get here at the castle, but -um- Lyracus is back. So I'd really like not to die and I'd really like for you to -um- er.. teach me to harness my abilities, cause war..."

Kaifa looked at her in disdain like a chewing gum stuck to a designer shoe, as she interrupted her. "No. Now get out unless you want me to hurl a table on your head."

"No?" Adira gasped taken aback, "but war is coming. We need help, we need to win! Both your brother and your mate are fighting! We must prevent the casualties, and with my ability, there is a real chance that we can."

"War does not affect immortals. Are you going to leave or will I have to make you?"

Adira shifted her weight from one leg to the other. "Listen, I'm stuck here for a week, I don't even know where we are. So I can't really leave. It's only a week, why don't we just give it a try?" She beseeched, her voice breaking a little.

Suddenly, Adira's knife left its holster and sprung into the air, stopping inches from her neck. 

Kaifa spoke, her face becoming menacing, "I. Don't. Care." Her eyes bore in Adira's. 

It wasn't her best moment, but Adira was definitely terrified. Fuck. 

"Look, the war is - I mean - surely, even you have to care about something-" Adira trailed off as a chair knocked the back of her knees making them give in, making her sit heavily upon the chair. Two ropes bound her hands to the arm-rests, digging into her wrists. Her knife shifted so that she felt its blade on her neck. 

Kaifa's voice dropped low. "Tell me, child, did you forget how strong Lycans are? Did my brother and my mate not impress you with our strength? You come into my home uninvited, for a whole week, insulting me when I don't wish to partake in your stupid war? My brother's bleeding heart has always hidden our true nature. We are predators, so do not be mistaken -" her voice dropped even lower, as she spoke softly, "- I will destroy you."