The Past

In the middle of the night, Dmitri screamed. Alec was up like a shot and he ran into the nursery. Picking Dmitri up, he held him close and bounced him gently in his arms.
"Hey shh." Alec soothed quietly. "Don't wake your big sister." Alec carried Dmitri out of the room and made up a bottle for him. "I think someone is a hungry baby boy." As he fed Dmitri, he thought about the dangers Magnus had told him about months ago.
"What's on your mind?" Magnus asked from behind him. Alec turned his head and looked at him before he shrugged.
"The dangers of having a warlock baby." Alec admitted.
"That doesn't happen to everyone. If we raise him right then it'll be fine."
"But... Your parents..."
"Let's not have this discussion Alec. What happened between me and my parents is way in the past."
"But..."
"No buts Alec. What happened to my parents is not something I want to discuss. Ever." Alec looked at Dmitri. "We aren't afraid of him so he won't have to go through what I did."

When Dmitri had finished drinking, Alec carried him around for a little while to show him the apartment. He even introduced him to Chairman Meow who Dmitri seemed intrigued by. He reached for the tiny cat with his tiny hands.
"Don't let him grab his fur. Chairman won't be happy by that." Magnus said from the couch.
"I know." Alec said. He held Dmitri carefully and allowed him to touch Chairman Meow. Dmitri touched the little cat's head and stroked him. Alec smiled at him and after a few minutes he moved Dmitri away. "Let's leave daddy's kitty cat to sleep bud." He said. Dmitri screamed and reached for Chairman Meow. Magnus took Dmitri and held him close. Lighting a fire on his finger, Magnus watched as he calmed and watched him move his fingers around.
"Oh my baby boy likes that." He said. Dmitri watched the fire until his eyes closed and he fell asleep. Not a minute later Ally started crying. Alec left Magnus with Dmitri and went to see Ally. Alec picked Ally up and held her close before taking her out to Magnus and Dmitri. Sitting with Magnus on the couch, Alec sat Ally in his lap and bounced her lightly.
"So, we've had two wake ups in less than an hour. I think we can deal with this." Alec said.
"Yeah. We'll just have to take it in turns."
"Agreed."

It wasn't long before Ally fell asleep and they were able to put the babies back down in their cots. Midnight had come and gone long before and both Alec and Magnus were fighting off sleep. Crawling into bed, Alec buried his head in his pillow and sighed. Beside him, the bed dipped as Magnus got onto the bed.
"Do you really want to know what happened between me and my parents?" Magnus asked.
"You don't have to tell me." Alec mumbled against the pillow.
"I'm giving you a choice."
"Magnus it's late. Can it wait?"
"Sure. Goodnight Alec." Magnus said and they both fell asleep without another word. Half way through the night, Alec woke up. He wanted to know about Magnus' past and his mind wouldn't let him rest until he found out. Rolling onto his side to face Magnus, he saw that the warlocks cat like eyes were looking back at him.
"Can't sleep?" Alec asked. Magnus shook his head.
"I guess you wanna know about my past?"
"Yeah..." Alec admitted. Magnus ran his fingers through his hair and sighed.
"For a while, my life was fine. My parents loved me, I was happy. Then my powers came through. My parents were terrified of me. My mother killed herself soon after."
"Oh baby... I'm so sorry. How did it happen?"
"She hung herself. In our barn."
"I'm so sorry..." Magnus shrugged.
"Then when I was ten, my stepfather tried to drown me. I burned him to death when I lashed out at him. Then I was brought up by churchmen and the silent brothers raised me. They gave me my name and I've never looked back."
"Oh Magnus..."
"I loved them so much. Then they just turned on me." Magnus suddenly looked and sounded so fragile. "How could they do that to me?" He asked. Shuffling closer to him on the bed, Alec held Magnus and stroked his head gently. He got a slight electric shock from Magnus but he kept hold of him.
"It's okay. They just didn't understand. Just like Dmitri's parents didn't. What happened wasn't your fault."
"How can you still touch me when you know what I did... I did it by accident Alec and I killed him."
"Because I trust you. I know what you are, I have from the start. You've never hurt me using your powers and I know you never will."
"What if I lose it?"
"You have more control now. You won't hurt me." Alec said confidently. "Or either of our kids. I know it." Magnus cuddled against Alec. "You don't have to worry."
"I always worry because I know what I'm capable of. You just don't see it."
"Now that we have a warlock, you can help him. Give him the help you never got. Don't let the same thing happen again."
"I won't let it happen again." Magnus said. "I won't."
"I know." Alec tilted his head up gently and kissed him. It only lasted a few seconds, but that's all they needed. "Now get some sleep."
"Only if you will too."
"I will. I can hardly keep my eyes open." Alec said and Magnus laughed ever so slightly. Within moments, they were asleep in each other's arms.