Thanks Sis

On Dmitri's first birthday, Alec and Magnus threw him a party to celebrate. The guests were mostly Downworlders, warlocks more than any others, though at Alec's request they invited the Shadowhunters at the New York institute. At the start of the night when it was quieter, Dmitri was happy and stayed in Magnus' arms, clinging tightly on to him. As the night progressed and more people piled in, Dmitri gradually got more distressed and upset. By the time the other Shadowhunters arrived, Dmitri was screaming. Alec answered the door to them with Ally in his arms. Ally was happy enough, she'd had much more experience in meeting other people that Dmitri so the noise and number of people at the party didn't phase her. Dmitri on the other hand, had had very limited meetings with others and he feared the noisy environment.
"Come in guys." Alec said as he stepped to one side. When they'd all gone in he closed the door. "Sorry, we're having a little trouble with Dmitri right now." He said.
"Who is Dmitri?" Jace asked. Alec smiled as Isabelle dug her elbow into his ribs.
"Dmitri is his and Magnus' warlock son. Remember?"
"Thanks Izzy. You need to work on your listening skills Jace." Alec said. Working his way through the crowd, Magnus went over. Holding a screaming Dmitri against his chest.
"Alec please, please take him. You're better with him than me." Magnus said.
"Alright, take Ally." When Alec had hold of Dmitri, he passed Ally to Magnus. Taking Dmitri into the nursery, Alec closed the door and provided a slight relief from the noise. Sitting in the rocking chair, Alec held Dmitri close and rocked slightly in the chair with him. "Calm down, shh." Alec soothed as he held Dmitri in his favourite way. "I know baby boy. Daddy knows." Dmitri didn't settle, he screamed continuously. The lights in the room started flickering as Dmitri lost control of his powers. Alec wouldn't give up. He got Dmitri's favourite toy and put it in his hands. "You're okay Dmitri, it's just you and daddy here. Just you and daddy. Everything is okay."

After a while, Isabelle went in to the room with Ally in her arms. She quickly closed the door behind her and went over to Alec's side. He was still rocking a screaming Dmitri and trying desperately to calm him down.
"How is he?" Isabelle asked.
"Really distressed and upset. I can't calm him." Alec said.
"Oh baby boy..." Isabelle said.
"Ba!" Ally shouted and reached for Dmitri. Alec smiled and took Ally from Isabelle.
"Yeah he's your brother isn't he baby girl?" Ally reached over to Dmitri and held his hand, letting him know that she was there. Alec kissed Ally's cheek and then kissed Dmitri's forehead.
"Why don't you sing to him?" Isabelle asked.
"You know I can't sing Izzy."
"So? He's one. He's not going to care if you sing well or not." Rolling his eyes, Alec sang gently to Dmitri to try and calm him down. Looking up at Alec, Dmitri stopped screaming and just listened to him sing. Alec smiled at Dmitri and kissed his forehead when he'd finished singing.
"It's okay baby boy. Daddy won't let anything happen to you. I know you don't like it." Isabelle carefully took Ally from Alec and held her. She'd fallen asleep when Alec was singing and didn't seem to mind when Isabelle picked her up. "Put her to bed Izzy." Alec said.
"Okay..." Isabelle said. It was clear that she wasn't certain about doing it.
"It's alright Izzy. Her cot is the one on the left from where I'm facing. Just support her head and bottom and set her down gently." Isabelle followed his instructions. She put a hand behind Ally's head and put one hand on her bottom and lower back before carefully setting her down in her cot.
"Do I need to put a blanket over her?"
"No she'll be fine. She usually ends up kicking it off. Just put her bear next to her." Isabelle nodded and put Ally's bear by her side.
"You're a really great dad Alec." Alec smiled.
"Thanks. That means a lot."
"Mom and dad really miss you, you know. You never call or anything and they're worried about you."
"I honestly didn't think they cared." Alec said as he rocked Dmitri, trying to get him to go to sleep.
"Of course they care Alec. Your their first born."
"And I'm gay so I'm a disgrace to the family and to all Shadowhunters." He said, remembering what his father had once said to him.
"You know dad didn't mean that."
"I don't know what he means anymore. But him saying that hurt. I'll never do that to these two. I'll support them, unlike what he did."
"Dad didn't know his to react. None of us really did. You know he's no good at talking about things."
"It's just annoying. Tell them I'm fine. I'm just a bit busy." Isabelle sighed and kissed Alec's cheek.
"I'll tell them you're okay. You just raise these two right." Alec smiled at her a little.
"I'll try. I don't think there is a right way to raise a child."
"Well, considering you've only had Dmitri for a few months and he already loves you and trusts you. I'd say you're doing a good job."
"Thanks sis." Alec said as Isabelle left the room.