Unpleasant Memories

It was at that point that Magnus woke up. Alec still had his head in his lap and was asleep. The sun was shining in through the window and he could hear his alarm going off in the bedroom. With a snap of his fingers the alarm stopped. That was the best dream he'd had in a long time, until he hurt Ally. He couldn't believe what had happened, but now he was certain that he wanted a child. Looking down at Alec, Magnus smiled and played gently with his hair. Alec stirred and woke up. Looking up at Magnus, he smiled.

"Morning." Alec said, not making any move to get up from him position. He was extremely comfortable. Magnus leaned forwards and kissed his cheek.

"Morning." He replied. "I've made my decision."

"Decision? About what?" Alec asked, he wasn't fully awake and didn't catch on to what Magnus meant straight away.

"What we were talking about yesterday. Remember?" It took Alec a few minutes to understand what he meant and he nodded.

"About having a child." He said finally.

"Yes."

"What is your decision...?" Alec asked. Biting his lip, he had everything crossed that Magnus would say that he wanted a child.

"I want a child." Alec's face lit up. He sat up and hugged Magnus.

"You have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that."

"It was decided at about five this morning. Let's just say, I had a very good dream." Magnus said, leaving out the part where he hurt Ally. He wanted Alec to know that he'd truly considered it. Alec stood up off of the couch and stretched.

"Let's grab some breakfast and then we'll talk more about it. Okay?"

Within half an hour, they were both tucking in to a breakfast that consisted of toast, eggs, sausages and bacon. They always sat together at a circular dining table that they had., they never sat on the couch. Neither of them said a word as they ate, but there was a positive energy that enveloped the apartment. After they'd both finished eating and were comfortably full, they washed everything and went and sat back on the couch. Magnus turned the TV on but neither of them watched it.

"So..." Alec started. "You want a baby. You're definitely sure?"

"I've never been more certain of anything in my entire life." Magnus replied with a smile on his face.

"That's great!" Alec exclaimed. "We know that we want a girl, so do you want a Shadowhunter or a Warlock?" Magnus had to think for a few minutes. He stared blankly at the TV whilst he thought. The Simpsons was playing to no-one in particular, though Chairman Meow seemed to be watching it, his tail occasionally flicking from side to side. The Simpsons was one of the few programmes that could actually amuse Magnus but he had no intention of watching it.

After almost ten minutes, Magnus looked back at Alec.

"A Shadowhunter." He said. "Definitely a Shadowhunter."

"Oh... I wanted a warlock..." Alec replied. This was something that neither of them had anticipated.

"Warlocks can be difficult to raise." Magnus said matter-of-factly. As a child Magnus often had little incidents involving his developing magic. He remembered one time when he was being chased by an older boy, and, without wanting to, he created an invisible force that choked and almost killed him. The memory sent shudders down his spine. Alec reassuringly closed his hand over Magnus'.

"What's wrong? You seem distressed." Alec observed. He was growing accustomed to Magnus' habits and signs. Even though Magnus concealed it well, Alec could nearly always tell when he was hiding something. Magnus quickly composed himself.